2002 tb fan clutch

bakersfour

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
my fan clutch doesnt seem to engage at all. When in traffic or at stop ac kicks off. i never hear the jet sound of the fan. do i need to replace fan clutch. ac blows very cold when cruising down the road. is there some way to check for power going to activate fan or can i check fan itself?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There would only be two occasions where you would hear the fan pull at 100% (i.e. jet engine); when the engine is very hot and close to overheating or the clutch has failed and is locked up permanently. Did you check the fan fuse? Don't just visually check it, use a multimeter or test light. It could also be the relay. You can switch it with one from another circuit that uses the same type (don't remember which one, maybe another member can chime in). You could also temporarily put 12V+ to the white wire at the fan while the engine is running and you will hear the fan fully engage and then release after removing the 12V+.

These fans were problematic in the first years and yours would have been of the worst ones if it's still original.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think there was a TSB about poor AC performance at a stop on the older trucks that was fixed by a software update that would call for a higher fan speed with the AC on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online