Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
Guys,
i bought this truck a year ago , it had 108k miles now it has 115k
the transmission is doing late shifts, before it was around 1700 , 1800 RPM's
now it needs to go past 2500 RPM's to shift
sometimes 2800 RPM's

what i do is a hard accel then release the gaspedal so it shifts to the next gear
strange thing is that happens randomly
when i run my daily errands, sometimes a trip is smooth as butter shifting
then the next trip is with the "late shifting" problem

i removed the pan, inspected the oil and not brown, actually like new
there no metal shaving or debris at the bottom of the pan
and nothing on the MAGNET that normally has sludge on the pan

So i replaced the filter, new gasket and also when i was there i replaced both solenoids
i bought AC delco, so 1,2 and 3,4 gear solenoids replaced

i added around 5 quarts of Castrol dexron 6to top off the fluid that was lost during the pan removal
i did a test drive with the new filter and fluid and it shifts even smoother than before

But, after 2 or 3 more trips it started to do the same exact thing
that thing is random on trips, i mean, if it is a good trip the tranny behaves great
but if it is a bad trip, the late shifting starts from the beginning, also if i am on the highway
it shifts back from overdrive to 4th and i need to slow down to around 50mph so my RPM;s are no more than 2200

also, i found out that when backing up the truck, if i push hard on the gaspedal
i feel that the reverse gear slips
so i need to be gentle to normal, not hard accel

What i can do

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From what I have read on the forums, it sounds like the tranny needs the transgo kit. It should resolve some of the issues. But I am not sure on the reverse. I have minimal experience with this tranny, so wait for someone to respond with more knowledge.

Reactions: mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Check Ebay and Amazon to start, should be able to find some pricing options there.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
it is hard to change the valve body ?

That's a very subjective question, that other people can't really answer for you. Sorta like if you asked us what kind of shoes would be comfortable for you...

The answer to your question depends on your own experience, skill level, comfort-ability diving deep into the inner workings of your truck, tools and type of work space available. Try checking out some videos on Youtube to see what's involved, then ask yourself how confident you feel trying those steps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And while lying on your back if you don't have a lift.

02trailblazin

Sep 25, 2019
Florida
Guys,
i bought this truck a year ago , it had 108k miles now it has 115k
the transmission is doing late shifts, before it was around 1700 , 1800 RPM's
now it needs to go past 2500 RPM's to shift
sometimes 2800 RPM's

what i do is a hard accel then release the gaspedal so it shifts to the next gear
strange thing is that happens randomly
when i run my daily errands, sometimes a trip is smooth as butter shifting
then the next trip is with the "late shifting" problem

i removed the pan, inspected the oil and not brown, actually like new
there no metal shaving or debris at the bottom of the pan
and nothing on the MAGNET that normally has sludge on the pan

So i replaced the filter, new gasket and also when i was there i replaced both solenoids
i bought AC delco, so 1,2 and 3,4 gear solenoids replaced

i added around 5 quarts of Castrol dexron 6to top off the fluid that was lost during the pan removal
i did a test drive with the new filter and fluid and it shifts even smoother than before

But, after 2 or 3 more trips it started to do the same exact thing
that thing is random on trips, i mean, if it is a good trip the tranny behaves great
but if it is a bad trip, the late shifting starts from the beginning, also if i am on the highway
it shifts back from overdrive to 4th and i need to slow down to around 50mph so my RPM;s are no more than 2200

also, i found out that when backing up the truck, if i push hard on the gaspedal
i feel that the reverse gear slips
so i need to be gentle to normal, not hard accel

What i can do
I just delt with the same thing i came to the conclusion the plastic piston in the 1-2 accumulator is stuck or broke after tryin to salvage yard trannys and neither of them working i ended up gettin my money back and foing with a reman from smart street transmission for 1490 delivered wit 3 year warramty unlimited miles its deff worth it

and also the 2-4 servo

Reactions: rolo95

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
I just delt with the same thing i came to the conclusion the plastic piston in the 1-2 accumulator is stuck or broke after tryin to salvage yard trannys and neither of them working i ended up gettin my money back and foing with a reman from smart street transmission for 1490 delivered wit 3 year warramty unlimited miles its deff worth it

and also the 2-4 servo
Hey man !
you mean this guys ?

thanks!! for the info, i will look at those, and i think is the way to go
i do not have the tools nor the knowledge to do a trany ovehaul :biggrin:
Thanks!! again!!
Rolo.

02trailblazin

Sep 25, 2019
Florida
Hey man !
you mean this guys ?

thanks!! for the info, i will look at those, and i think is the way to go
i do not have the tools nor the knowledge to do a trany ovehaul :biggrin:
Thanks!! again!!
Rolo.
No problem i have no complaints its been great to me ever since i put it in and i dont have the knowledge nor patience for internals past the solenoids. Im having a hard enough time tryin to get this hp tuners down to work right hope all is well and i found out the hard way that i should jus went with them the first time

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
what you mean by HP tuners (puzzled)

It's a software package, and OBDII interface, to change the default programming in the PCM for tuning and diagnostic purposes.

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
It's a software package, and OBDII interface, to change the default programming in the PCM for tuning and diagnostic purposes.

ic
so what you have tweaked on your TB PCM

02trailblazin

Sep 25, 2019
Florida
A lil spark an fuel wideband in the process of finding compatable injectors for this set. Up @limequat can i use any pf gms v8 injectors from the 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 l vehicles moneys limited do to newborn son she has 270k on her and shes gonna 15.6@89mph but that was a year ago how about ur tb

Attachments

• 20200124_142911.jpg
    20200124_142911.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200124_142920.jpg
    20200124_142920.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 8

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
A lil spark an fuel wideband in the process of finding compatable injectors for this set. Up @limequat can i use any pf gms v8 injectors from the 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 l vehicles moneys limited do to newborn son she has 270k on her and shes gonna 15.6@89mph but that was a year ago how about ur tb
AFAIK, all V8 injectors are the shorter style while the I6 uses a longer version.

02trailblazin

Sep 25, 2019
Florida
AFAIK, all V8 injectors are the shorter style while the I6 uses a longer version.
Ok i understand everything about this is kinda veering off topic but ur just the gentleman i need to talk to about regarding questions and im willing to buy some tune advice time or something along those lines i hear ur the man thyat had a plan and succeeded with it. Really jus tryin to double check that my trial and errors are going in the right direction for this build but some of the parameter defenitions catch me differently then read so if u can msg me im not forum savy mainly just a googler or keep tryin till u make it type guy but gotten sum wisdom over the years and just triple checkin before i damage my daily driver

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
There's been many more successful than me! Maybe check out the facebook group for 4200 swaps, there's lots of great projects there. Of course, I'd be willing to help wherever I can.

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
WOW !!! that is heavy forensinc modding :biggrin:
way beyond my knowledge

my TB is all stock, just that the tranny is giving up with those weird symptoms
wife got sick so i will need to wait until i can order it and get somebody to install
the remanufactured transmission

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.