2002 Tahoe 4x4. 298K miles on a 5.3 Vortec. Any life left? Should I buy it?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
A good friend of mine passed away and he has a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. It was one that was built in Texas. Apparently they were the better quality ones.

It has the 5.3 LM7 engine. He has taken excellent care of it engine wise. Oil changes, coolant changes, etc. It has a "built" rebuilt transmission put in it 30-40 k miles ago. G80 Locking rear Differential. 3.73 ratio. Body has some bumps and bruises but nothing major. It needs a new key switch as it's rigged with a jumper wire to the selenoid with a momentary button to start it. (he didn't have time to replace the key switch, it needs to have A.C. recharged (and leak tested) which I can do. Headliner is falling down.

Needs a water/coolant pump....pump seal is leaking like a sieve. It runs excellent. No piston slap or misses. Will need some struts and ball joints etc. Needs a new driver's side leather seat cover. His brother is asking $1000.00 for it to a family friend like me. It seems high given all the work it needs and the miles on the engine.
So the two questions......Do these engines last longer than 300K in general.....is it worth $1000.00?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I decided to pass on the Tahoe...I don't need any more projects...Thanks for the input all.

Reactions: Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. My old buddy passed away last year and it was very hard.
Thank you Coolride. This was a tough loss. I've know him and his brother since we were 10 years old. 52 years now. Good guy. Hard worker. Excellent athlete. We used to ski, water ski, wakeboard, windsurf, hike, ride bicycles, surf, etc...you name it... He wasn't taking care of himself the last 10 years since he had to help care for his Mom and moved her into his home. His long time girlfriend bailed out and it really messed up his head. I had a few talks with him over the years about drinking and pain killers. He had knee surgery 30 years ago and never could break that habit 100%. We tried everything and finally thought he'd made the break from them. Addiction reared it's ugly head again and he wouldn't listen to anybody. Dead at 63...way too young... We will all miss him. Thanks for letting me get it out.... :sadcry:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
For 1000, I would have gambled on it. You likely could have bought it, done a little bit to it, and flipped it for 2500 or more. The market right now does not care about miles it seems. There are quite a few on CL locally with over 300k on them, asking 5-9k.

Stupid crazy market right now!

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
For 1000, I would have gambled on it. You likely could have bought it, done a little bit to it, and flipped it for 2500 or more. The market right now does not care about miles it seems. There are quite a few on CL locally with over 300k on them, asking 5-9k.

Stupid crazy market right now!
You are probably right. I just have about 3 other projects ahead of it right now. Really didn't want to get into another can of worms. Plus, I'm friends with his family. I didn't want to fix it up and flip it just to make some extra cash. Plenty of those projects pending! :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online