2002 LTZ vs 2008 LT2

fixer34

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
OK, so posted this on the Trailvoy site and it was suggested I come over here...

My daughter's 2002 LTZ is having major body rust issues, plus needs an exhaust system. Mechanicals aren't too bad.
We are looking at a 2008 LT2 as a replacement. Body is good, but it needs some mechanical work. How much is transferable from the 2002? For instance, just did pads/rotors all the way around on the LTZ 2 months ago, would like to put them on the LT2. Any issues to be aware of with the 2008?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome! No crickets here.

A lot is the same but there are some differences. Front brakes aren't the same as they changed to cast iron calipers in '06. Rears are the same. Pretty much all mechanical is swappable except the engine, tranny and rear diff. Wheels and tires will fit.

Anything more specific you were thinking of apart from the brakes?

fixer34

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks. If I have to deal with an engine, tranny, or diff, we're not getting it. Going to look at it today. What is different on the engine? Still the same inline 6 or different design?
What about the 4WD? Spent time learning about it on the LTZ, not working on the LT2, so wondering if TCCM etc can be swapped for troubleshooting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The big change in the engine was the reluctor wheel that went from a 24x to 58x. Totally different.

All the 4x4 components are the same however, the TCCM could be swapped AFAIK however the original '02 TCCM had defects that were corrected for '03+. They should be all gone by now.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Another bigger thing for 2008 was they went back to a more reliable mechanical fan clutch with no electronics involved .

Reactions: xavierny25

fixer34

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks all. Went to look at it today. Small/private dealer so he just handed us the keys and no hassles. Starts and idles nicely (didn't road test it). Engine quiet, A/C works. 4WD seemed to engage without a problem. Little bit of rust around the inside bottom of passenger doors. Front doors, engine hood look fine. Can't open the back hatch; figure the mechanism is bound up, but I had to deal with that on the 2002. Not a deal breaker. Rotors are rusty/worn, but again not an issue. Underside looked about what I would expect for 10+ yr old car; surface rust but no major frame issues. Inside in real nice condition. 190k miles, but it doesn't look it.
Anything major I could expect to be coming up with that kind of mileage?
Asking price is $3000, which seems low, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing?

Reluctor wheel 24x to 58x? I'm pretty good with engines, but that is a new one to me. I'm hoping not to be dealing with an engine rebuild.

Mechanical fan clutch-that I understand. Did the water pump on the 2002, was surprised about the electrical connection to the clutch.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Reluctor wheel 24x to 58x? I'm pretty good with engines, but that is a new one to me. I'm hoping not to be dealing with an engine rebuild.

Just the count of the pointy bits on the crankshaft, pointing at the crank position sensor.

In a nutshell, just don't use an early engine attached to a late ECM (or vice versa) as it'll be REALLY confused.

fixer34

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks, my engine experience is pre-computer (or at least very early computer fuel injection), but I understand the crank position sensor. The 2002 has had some minor issues with it.
I'm not planning to get into engine swap, or even rebuild. That's why I was asking about the 190k miles. At what point do these engines need overhaul work?

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
At what point do these engines need overhaul work?
Hugely open ended question. Some people seem to start complaining at 200Km's, yet I have 320K and at worst have light piston slap only when really cold. And some other guys on here have 5-600 and are still going!! I think a lot of it has to do with prior maintenance.

Lets face it, after 10-17 years of varied ownership, a LOT of hands have gone caressing over things - some less lovingly than others.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online