2002 LTZ knock?

WafflesLTZ

Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
South mississippi
First noticed the lower end know but when I rev it I hear what’s in the video. It’s hard to hear because my fan clutch is bad but can definitely hear what I’m hearing
Any ideas. I fear the worst.

also to add, I’m getting no current or stored codes.

Last edited:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Welcome to GMT Nation!

Is the sound any different (louder/quieter) from the top of the engine?

I think I'm hearing two different sounds. One from what sounds like your fan hitting something and the other sounding somewhat like a valve/lifter?

Wait until your engine is cold. Remove your serpentine belt and start the engine for a very SHORT period of time (a minute or less) to see if the noise is still there. This will tell us if it's an engine noise or an accessory noise.

Reactions: TollKeeper

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I agree with @Maverick6587 on this one. Wait until that engine is cold, like after it sits overnight. Take the serpentine belt off, and start and record another video. If the noise goes away, then you have mostly ruled it as a belt/pulley related issue. If the noise persists, than its going to be mechanical. Hearing the noise without all the belt related noise will help us hear the noise, and hopefully guide you in the right direction.

EDIT: Dont know where you live, but seeing a 2002 from the underside with virtually no corrosion is nearly un heard of. That truck should last you a long while.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.