NEED HELP 2002 GMC envoy won't start

loopdawg111

Original poster
Jan 15, 2022
Hi Everyone. I am new here. And we'll my 2002 GMC envoy won't start. It cranks and turns off after making a loud screeching sound. And a little bit of smoke comes out by the oil detectors. Please someone help me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hi and welcome.

Since it's a 2002, it has to be the 4.2L engine. So you mean to say it cranks and while cranking, it makes a screeching sound and stops cranking? Or it sorta starts, screeches and stops? And on a cold engine that doesn't start, you have smoke coming out of where? What are "oil detectors"? Maybe the screeching is the starter bendix not engaging properly and not able to crank the engine properly. A video of the engine of what happens while cranking would be useful (upload to Youtube and post the link here).

We have this thread from our FAQ that should also be able to help.
Cranks but won't start

59840Surfer

Apr 19, 2020
Montana
Oh cr@p! I think I forgot to change my oil detectors last oil year ........

FTR: a new piece of cardboard will detect oil leaks ---- I am not aware of any others.

<subscribed>

The OP said: "It cranks and turns off after making a loud screeching sound. "
So it is cranking, but he hears a screech then the starter disengages.​

At this point I do not know what "... it turns off" means because I don't think he stated what "IT" is that "turns off" --- the starter or the engine?

Pro bono:

► Modern GM starters don't use a Bendix --- they kinda went out in the 1950s although Ford does it once in a while 'cause they're cheap. Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines use a Bendix too --- again, because they're cheap.​
► If a GM one-way starter drive fails (normally called a "sprag clutch"), it usually fails to hook up and the starter just spins although the starter gear is in the ring gear --- but screeching has never been one of it's failure sounds in any times that I can remember.​
► For a GM starter to spin, it has to believe it is fully engaged into the ring gear. That's the way they are designed --- the solenoid magnetically pulls the core and that shoves the starter gear into the ring gear FIRST - and THEN the starter motor engages.​

I too, eagerly await a video of this happenstance.

Reactions: JerryIrons

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online