2002 GMC Envoy suspension has gotten really soft and bouncy

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi.

I have a 2002 GMC Envoy with 237,000 miles. I replaced the shocks with Bielstein Heavy Duty shocks and the rear bags with GM springs about 10k miles ago. The ride has gotten worse. Right to left motion is excessive. When the Truck is parked and I push down on the F and R bumper it is firm. Original springs up front. With that high mileage do I need to replace front spring? I am one my fourth set of links,the last 2 have been moog with the grease fittings. Do I need to replace the sway bars front and rear?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks

Buffalo 1028

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
How about the control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings?

The springs could have gotten a bit worn over that many miles. I have 177k on mine but it feels ok.

The sway bars themselves should be fine as they really aren't a wear item.

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Sparky said:
How about the control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings?

The springs could have gotten a bit worn over that many miles. I have 177k on mine but it feels ok.

The sway bars themselves should be fine as they really aren't a wear item.

Thank for for the suggestions. I replaced upper and lower control arms less than 100k ago. The front bushings for the sway var appears to be tight but I will replace them with new ones, front and rear. It is probably over due.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
With that many mile your springs are shot. Went through the same thing on my TB. I had replaced all my bushings and shocks because they were due. I drove a friends TB and realized I got use to worn out springs. Three days later I replaced mine and it was night and day. Generally speaking if you have bounce and sway it is either shocks or springs and sometimes both.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online