2002 – 2009 Trailblazer Park Brake Removal “How To”

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
2002 – 2009 Trailblazer Park Brake "HANDLE" Removal “How To”
Also works on GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, Saab 9-7X, and Buick Rainier.
Applies to all years and all models.

*I performed this since I just wanted to upgrade my button and grip to the 2006+ Chrome SS Style. Everyone said I would need to remove the whole park brake assembly and install the SS one. Doing that would take a project like what I did and make it a lot more than it needed to be. Here is the process:

Tools needed:
Flat Head Screw Driver
Philips Screw Driver
Towel
And a Socket Set if you take my advice and remove your radio just as a precaution.

Disassembly:
1. Start by Pulling the park brake all the way up and using a flat head screwdriver and prying the boot off of the Park Brake Handle.
2. Once the boot is separated, grip the handle and start twisting first one direction then back the other way. Every time try to twist further until you are rotating the rubber grip all the way around.
3. Now while twisting all the way around slide the grip towards the front of the truck as you continue to twist it.
4. If you have trouble with the grip try spraying a little WD-40 or penetrating spray into the area between the grip and the handle plastic.
5. Moving on, once you have the grip off. This is where I advise you to have the radio removed or place a very thick towel with someone holding it in front of the radio and trim. Position yourself like your kneeing in the passenger seat and grip the plastic handle on the park break with both hands. Grip it hard and start pulling it towards the front of the truck. This will take a lot of force and grip. This is also why I advise protecting your radio and anything in that general area. When my park break handle released from the mechanical assembly my right hand went flying towards the trim, missed the radio thank god, but hurt at first then remained numb for a hour. As you can imagine it could have went through the face of my indash DVD player.
6. The Button that you may want to change if you are converting to either an aftermarket or just changing to the 2006+ Chrome Button like I did, as I am working on a SS trailblazer Clone project. *The button that you usually push just unscrews from the spring.

Reassembly:
1. Either apply your aftermarket park break handle or screw on your new chrome button.
2. Make sure your button is all the way screw on. Not too tight but tight on the spring. Or it will stick out too far when you slide the handle on.
3. Make sure everything is the way you want before doing the next step.
4. Now slide your plastic park brake handle on all the way back onto the mechanical assembly.
5. Now while twisting slide your rubber park brake grip onto the handle until it seats right onto the park brake right.
6. Now use the screw driver to get the boot back onto the indented ring around the base of the park break handle.
7. Done!

Brief Video found here: Trailblazer 02-09 e-Brake Handle removal. - YouTube

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Were you the one I quoted the Haynes instructions on how to do this to? I can't remember.

But thanks for the guide, and a video is a good help, too! :thumbsup:

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Were you the one I quoted the Haynes instructions on how to do this to? I can't remember.

But thanks for the guide, and a video is a good help, too! :thumbsup:

Thanks I try to be of help around here when I can. I know I don't know near as much as everyone else, but its good to share. Its what we are here for.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I wonder if you could have deepened one of the grooves in that plastic piece and attached a slide hammer to it. Thoughts?

Jared

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back to the forum in over 6 years. They may not get notifications from the site anymore.

Reactions: crimecanine

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online