2001 Silverado v6 Transmission

zipydidoda

Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Orange County
Hi everyone! I just found this forum via the Rockauto newsletter and happy to have looked through the threads.

I recently just did a fluid/filter change out on the transmission (4L60E) on my 2001 Silverado V6 4.3L with about 418K (original trans, but not the engine-threw a rod at 300k). However, it's not shifting like it used do and I can't get the 'punch' off the line nor its not shifting between 2-3 at higher speeds (65-70mph @ 3000RPM). Prior to the fluid change out, it was shifting normally. Should I drop a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix? Before I throw in the towel and have a shop to do a rebuild, I'm thinking of dropping the pan again and changing out the solenoids and cleaning out the valves. Or should I order the entire AC Delco Valve Body with the new valves and solenoids instead? With the time on my hands, due to recent global events, it's an all day project for me.

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Very common recommendation here is this kit: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/270874884435

I had issues with 2nd gear bumping/slipping during acceleration after doing a DIY Trans Flush on my 03 Silverado (v8) and this kit fixed it. Also has many other upgrades and improvements included.

Can't promise that'll solve your issues but that single kit will fix the majority of issues on these beloved 4l60e trannies. I've seen it recommended for the 6 years I've been on this site and was my first thought when I had issues with mine.

PS: welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the many resources to be found here!

Reactions: Sparky and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hi and welcome! Glad you found us.

There have been lots of 2-3 shift slippage/no shift threads and the vast majority were worn clutches and needed a rebuild. And especially since it happened right after you changed the fluid would point in that direction as the clutch material suspended in the fluid tends to help the clutches grab better. The Lucas trans fix might work in the same way however it would just delay the inevitable. IMHO, a shift kit may work by increasing the pressure on the clutches but will just delay the inevitable again.

At that mileage (the highest I've seen so far on an original tranny), it owes you absolutely nothing and would benefit from a good rebuild. I would also include that shift kit in the rebuild to make it last even longer and avoid some of the issues it lists.

If you do pull it out yourself, be absolutely sure the oil pump is properly engaged in the torque converter before mating it to the engine. Many have destroyed the internal pump when the TC was unknowingly forced onto it.

Reactions: Mounce

zipydidoda

Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Orange County
Update: Last weekend, since I had to remove the pan again and going to change out all the solenoids out it appears that one the connector for the 1-2 shift solenoid was not properly reconnected from the previous fluid job. Either way the new solenoids where put in and the truck is shifting normally. There isn't much noticeable slipping. I took it out on the test drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles the evening after and it did great going up the Grapevine. Maybe this transmission will keep going. I'm happy that I have a working truck again and saved over $2000 in repairs/replacement (I was quoted $4000 for replacement with a new trans with 3 year warranty). I used NAPA parts.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online