20/20 Fake Products

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thought this would be a good reminder / public service announcement about carefully choosing your supplier of automotive products. There are people who sell fake airbags and can pose a serious hazard for the driver/passenger.

Here is the article from 20/20: http://abcnews.go.com/US/counterfeit-items-inside-home-pose-threat-family/story?id=31023849

In Folsom, California, Bob and Tami Larson bought a used car knowing they needed to replace the airbag. They bought an airbag from Igor Borodin, who was sentenced to seven years in prison for one count of trafficking and attempting to traffic in counterfeit airbags bearing the registered trademark of automobile manufacturers and one count of delivering and causing to be delivered hazardous materials to air carriers for transportation in air commerce.

Inside Borodin’s home in Indian Trail, North Carolina, investigators found more than 1,500 fake airbags and $60,000 in cash hidden in the walls.
Authorities say he sold $1.7 million worth of fake airbags and was once a top-rated seller on eBay. Following this incident, eBay said they tightened their selling policies.

Reactions: Blckshdw

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
That was an enlightening show, most of the fake or poorly manufactured product come out of China.

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Yeah, they do some crazy around the world shipping to hide the fact it comes from China. Major takeaway I got was buy hygiene, medication and safety equipment from a reputable seller (brand name store).

Reactions: Robbabob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I couldn't believe about the toothpaste. So now I'm gonna have to check for Chinglish on everything.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No surprise. They are taking over the world as everyone wants faster n cheaper

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Speaking of fakes, just received my Tech2 clone today from China. Seems to work OK. I justify buying this cheap copy because GM asks waaaaaaaaaay too much money for the real one and try to extort absurd amounts of money through their mob network that they call dealerships.

Reactions: mubai

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There are just a few things that justify buying the knock-off and their Tech2 is one of them.

Reactions: Mooseman

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Kind of on the same price gouging, I take my own water and snacks to the movies. I can't pay $6 for a bottle of water. I have the money, but refuse to pay it.

Mooseman said:
Speaking of fakes, just received my Tech2 clone today from China. Seems to work OK. I justify buying this cheap copy because GM asks waaaaaaaaaay too much money for the real one and try to extort absurd amounts of money through their mob network that they call dealerships.

Reactions: Mooseman

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
On the flip side, while I hate it when US manufactures move things over seas, when they do contract a Chinese company to make something to a certain standard it usually is done right. As an example we have Trek bikes that are made in China and they are excellent quality. But that just further illustrates needing to know what you are buying.

Reactions: djthumper

mubai

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Agreed. I'm just saying the companies that are making knockoff NorthFace jackets, Honda Airbags, and Louis Vuitton Handbags aren't going for top quality products.
They are just trying to make money off of someone else's hard work and brand.

DocBrown said:
On the flip side, while I hate it when US manufactures move things over seas, when they do contract a Chinese company to make something to a certain standard it usually is done right. As an example we have Trek bikes that are made in China and they are excellent quality. But that just further illustrates needing to know what you are buying.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
When companies outsource not only the product but the quality control everyone is in trouble!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online