1SS - adding DIC with 3SS steering wheel

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I have an 06 SS that I want to add DIC to. I have a 3SS steering wheel already but I need to know which clockspring to buy and how to put in the wires into the cluster connector. Do I need to run wires thru the steering column from the clockspring? Adding the stereo controls too would be a big bonus.

There used to be a writeup somewhere (maybe on trailvoy) but I cannot find it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I didn't do a full on write up, but I talked about when I did this mod on my truck years ago. I don't have a part number for the clock spring, but the obvious difference between the DIC and non DIC versions are the 4 connectors for the buttons, which all have different pin configurations, so they can only be used on the proper button, and not swapped.

Once you get the clock spring and wheel installed, there will be 4 wires that need to be run to the cluster. In the cluster's plug there will be 4 open slots, together on the end. What I did for that, was buy a GM radio harness off Ebay for a few $$$ (was too lazy to scavenge one from a junker) and then steal the 4 wires/pins that were the same as the ones in the wiring diagram for the DIC functions. If you haven't already, get the service manuals from @Mooseman 's thread, and you can find the pin assignments and wire colors in the wiring diagram file.

gm03rb-1__1.jpg

For the audio control, are you stock, or aftermarket? If you're stock, the truck's harness that the clock spring plugs into won't have the connecting wire for the data bus. In addition to that, your BCM won't be programmed for it. If you're aftermarket, as I am, then you'll need an adapter harness.

Depending on the model, you'll need to connect one of the wires from the clock spring to it. Some use the data bus signal, others read resistance that varies depending on which button is pressed.

Hope that helps some.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I wrote one of the articles when we were still at TrailVoy, but it's not there anymore. For some reason, I never re-posted it here though. The whole process is a pain in the ass, frankly, especially if you are trying to get the audio controls to work (even with a programmable adapter for aftermarket radios).

I started off with 4 external momentary buttons to see if the DIC actually worked on my truck (1SS), then I bought the steering wheel and clockspring.

Here is the clockspring: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-clock-spring-88965346

Hope that helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online