15 ft toyhauler, 3350 dry weight. 7000 lbs GVWR....Too much for Envoy?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have a trans cooler on my 2002 Envoy. 177K miles. Engine perfect and well maintained. Trans serviced every 30-40K miles so in excellent condition. Will this be too much of a trailer to tow? I will have weight distribution hitch. Electric Brake controller. Tongue weight is 525 lbs. Should I add air bags or heavier springs in the rear?

Thanks for any input. c good

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
What gearing do you have? You will be able to haul it but you will take a big hit on the gas mileage.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You'd be OK, depending on how many ppl / how much gear you'll have in the Voy, and tongue weight s/b OK. But...

You NEED a weight distribution hitch (preferably one with anti-sway, especially since you have the SWB.

With it, you won't need to worry about bags or springs. Depending on how old your shocks are, I'd freshen those up before hooking up this trailer. I have the Bilstein 4600 series all around, and I have no sag with them, the WDH, and 5500 lb of trailer / ~ 750 on the tongue. Well, I shouldn't say 'no sag'... my stance levels out nicely, vs. stock.

Toyhaulers generally have weight bias toward the front; with 'toy' inside, you want to try for 60/40 bias, front/rear. Too much on the back increases sway. What are you planning to stuff in the back? If you don't mind, post the make / model of your trailer.

IIRC, about 5000lb is the max for the SWB / I6 combo. And you're gonna feel it on hills / grades. Keep the trans in 3rd gear, so that your torque converter isn't continually slipping in / out of OD (which creates heat.) Also keep an eye on your trans / coolant temps (I use Torque for my R/T monitoring; any OBD-compliant app would be just fine.)

Reactions: Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
What gearing do you have? You will be able to haul it but you will take a big hit on the gas mileage.

RPO code is Gu6 so it looks like 3:42....probably not ideal for towing....

You'd be OK, depending on how many ppl / how much gear you'll have in the Voy, and tongue weight s/b OK. But...

You NEED a weight distribution hitch (preferably one with anti-sway, especially since you have the SWB.

With it, you won't need to worry about bags or springs. Depending on how old your shocks are, I'd freshen those up before hooking up this trailer. I have the Bilstein 4600 series all around, and I have no sag with them, the WDH, and 5500 lb of trailer / ~ 750 on the tongue. Well, I shouldn't say 'no sag'... my stance levels out nicely, vs. stock.

Toyhaulers generally have weight bias toward the front; with 'toy' inside, you want to try for 60/40 bias, front/rear. Too much on the back increases sway. What are you planning to stuff in the back? If you don't mind, post the make / model of your trailer.

IIRC, about 5000lb is the max for the SWB / I6 combo. And you're gonna feel it on hills / grades. Keep the trans in 3rd gear, so that your torque converter isn't continually slipping in / out of OD (which creates heat.) Also keep an eye on your trans / coolant temps (I use Torque for my R/T monitoring; any OBD-compliant app would be just fine.)

A friend of mine is selling. Needs a little work but a great price. Thanks for great info. http://www.rvguide.com/specs/coachmen/toy-hauler/2009/adrenaline-blast/150-mph.html

only two people max. A dual sport motorcycle in the back or possibly a quad or RZR type of side by side would be all I'm taking in it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That'd be about your max, I think, without crunching numbers.
If you're going out west, try not to be lugging full tanks (grey, black) up the mountains.

On edit: I saw your post with the link / specs. Keep in mind that 'dry weight' is really a misnomer. You'll always weigh more. 36g fresh @ 8lb / gal (approx) = 288lb. You have a 30# propane tank, and a battery is going to weigh about 80#. So that's another 400# on top of 3350, or 3800lb, roughly. That's before any food, gear, ...or toys. Your CCC on the trailer is good...but you need to check your towing specs for I6 w/ 3.42 gear - I'm pretty sure 5000# is the max to put on the bumper, and that's with a WDH.
Payload for the Voy is with you at 150lb, and full tank of gas. Add your passenger, dog, etc., to that tongue weight, and subtract that from your payload #.

Bottom line; it's probably gonna be close, on both (generally, you run out of payload first). Try and pack light.

If you find you like RV'ing, you'll probably want to go 'bigger' in a year or so. When you do...figure a more capable tow vehicle into the equation.

Last edited:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
That'd be about your max, I think, without crunching numbers.
If you're going out west, try not to be lugging full tanks (grey, black) up the mountains.

On edit: I saw your post with the link / specs. Keep in mind that 'dry weight' is really a misnomer. You'll always weigh more. 36g fresh @ 8lb / gal (approx) = 288lb. You have a 30# propane tank, and a battery is going to weigh about 80#. So that's another 400# on top of 3350, or 3800lb, roughly. That's before any food, gear, ...or toys. Your CCC on the trailer is good...but you need to check your towing specs for I6 w/ 3.42 gear - I'm pretty sure 5000# is the max to put on the bumper, and that's with a WDH.
Payload for the Voy is with you at 150lb, and full tank of gas. Add your passenger, dog, etc., to that tongue weight, and subtract that from your payload #.

Bottom line; it's probably gonna be close, on both (generally, you run out of payload first). Try and pack light.

If you find you like RV'ing, you'll probably want to go 'bigger' in a year or so. When you do...figure a more capable tow vehicle into the equation.

I understand completely. I'm also coming to the same conclusion....especially with all the great input. Might start looking for an older Suburban or Tahoe with the 5.3 or 5.7. or a 2500 Silverado... I love my Envoy...don't want to beat it up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was using my TB (4,2 and 3.42) to tow for my aluminum double covered sled trailer and even empty, sucked in a head wind at 100km/h. Towing it at 110km/h with a tail wind and one 650# sled, once in a while had to drop to 2nd gear on bigger hills. Moderate ones dropped to third. With two sleds, I mostly kept it in 3rd as the roads were hilly and would drop regularly to 2nd. The I6 can tow but it's not a torque monster and the 3.42 gears just makes it worse. For your setup, you would need 4.10 with the 4,2 or one with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears at least. For a toy hauler like that, I would get something with a minimum 5.3 and 3.73.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online