NEED HELP 12v ACC red for aftermarket radio

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
I'm a bit perplexed that my factory radio harness does not have red/ACC/12v in it, does anyone know if I need to find ACC somewhere in dash or if there is an ACC in the harness disguised by another color?

littleblazer

Gold Supporter
I'm a bit perplexed that my factory radio harness does not have red/ACC/12v in it, does anyone know if I need to find ACC somewhere in dash or if there is an ACC in the harness disguised by another color?
Iirc there should be a heavier gauge wire, that is the one you want. But I believe that it may be always hot and there is a trigger for switching it on and off that switches with key on. It has been a while.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Then the trigger wire is the ACC and I would need to find it. It seems implausible that there is not an ACC going into the factory harness. I have battery disconnected, and the interior disassembled, so I'm kind of in a bind. Hard to understand why GM would not use the standard colors.

littleblazer

Gold Supporter
Grab the manuals from mooseman. The wiring for all the radios is in it and color coded. My CPU is being stupid or I'd look it up for you

Matt

Silver Supporter
There isn't one in the factory harness, that's why it's easier using an adapter harness when putting in an aftermarket radio. If you want to grab 12v switched power you need to get it from the wiring under the steering wheel, there's a switched 12v there...pink wire.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/12v-switched-power.2001/

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Interesting, and yet my factory radio turns off when I take the key out of the ignition. So what is the signal that is telling the factory radio to turn off ?

So what is the signal that is telling the factory radio to turn off ?
The BCM is controlling it through the data bus. This is also how the RAP feature works with the radio and windows being functional when the key is shut off, until one of the doors is opened.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
ouch!.. so there is nothing in the factory GM radio harness that can serve as a ACC/red signal.
There isn't one in the factory harness, that's why it's easier using an adapter harness when putting in an aftermarket radio. If you want to grab 12v switched power you need to get it from the wiring under the steering wheel, there's a switched 12v there...pink wire.
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/12v-switched-power.2001/
Just to be clear, I am using the RP5 GM11 adapter harness.

djthumper

Administrator
You have the proper adapter to plug into the body harness it will have all the connections that you need. Connect it to the interface box. Connect the radio harness up to the radio and connect to the box. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

littleblazer

Gold Supporter
I was remembering the radio side of an adapter harness. My bad.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Ok, so if I understand correctly then the rp5 gm11 adapter module (blue box) is creating an effective ACC/red signal from the factory OEM harness. So it must be using data signals to do it.

littleblazer

Gold Supporter
Ok, so if I understand correctly then the rp5 gm11 adapter module (blue box) is creating an effective ACC/red signal from the factory OEM harness. So it must be using data signals to do it.
Yes. Just go wire to wire and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Many thanks guys, sorry for the confusion, the instructions/explanations for the rp5 gm11 are exceedingly minimal and I read online resources about finding the ACC and assumed that I had to do that too. If the rp5 gm11 works then it was worth the 90$.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Well, I am having real trouble with my aftermarket (pioneer 8200nex) radio install. This is beating the day lights out of me. I used the rp5 gm11 harness and there is no sound, and I cant see anything out of my camera. On top of that the doors and locks dont work right. I am putting the original GM factory radio back in until I can figure out what the heck is going on ! I think right now with the entire dash apart I may need to reduce the number of variables I am working with. I have a tiger by the tail, I may have to visit a local car audio shop.

My PAC RP5-GM11 seems to be producing an ACC12. I tested the redwire that the PAC harness provides and sure enough, when the key is on ACC the red wire lights up 12v. Should replacing a stereo HU be this hard ?

Last edited:

southsidesmoka

Silver Supporter
If you can avoid tapping into that voltage under the steering column, you probably should. The cleaner and costlier option, if you have an additional $35 to toss at the installation, check out this Retained Accessory Power and Chime Retention harness. You'll also need a relay to switch your radio off and on (due to current ratings on the harness), but it works very, very well, is absolutely amazing and worth the extra effort you'll have to put in during installation!

Metra LC-GMRC-01 R.A.P. Aftermarket Headunit Harness on Amazon

Metra LC-GMRC-01 Product Page

Below is the missing page from the Metra "manual" that instructs you how to install the turn-on relay, properly (necessary because the Metra harness put out 3 Amps while the headunit requires 10 Amps or more)...seriously, this page wasn't in my printed instruction sheet - so, here it is.

metra-electronics-lc-gmrc-lan-01-page2.png

- southsidesmoka

Last edited:

Mektek

Old radios used to be powered by the ACC wire - most newer radios like the OEM are powered from the constant 12v line and the ACC just signals to switch it on.
I'm looking at my gm2000a harness and the black and yellow wires are thicker than the others.
Why would they build a box that was inadequate for its intended purpose????

Last edited:
OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
finally got my avic8200nex and rp5-gm11 to limp along. Navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth and Rear Camera all work.

Only problem is that the volume is so low. It is much much lower than the OEM radio. How can a 580$ pioneer radio and a 87$ electronic adapter give -20dB lower volume than my original radio ?

The aftermarket radio saga continues... ugh.

Matt

Silver Supporter
Does it have a gain adjustment? The Metra does so I'm guessing that the PAC does too.

budwich

[quote:
finally got my avic8200nex and rp5-gm11 to limp along. Navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth and Rear Camera all work."

OK... but what did you do to get it to work since you went from "nothing" to "mostly working". This might shred some light on why its so "quiet".

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
For starters, I still am not sure why nothing was working at first. I did not have the camera properly grounded and that was the reason the camera was not working.

Other than that Im not sure. Edit: I suspect that the RP5GM11 being a microprocessor has something to do with it. I am still working to make sure I have it installed right.

I dont see anything about a Bose sound system on the "window sticker" that I saved from the dealer back in 2005. So as far as I know, there is no Bose sound system on my trailblazer. I did not realize that the RP5-GM11 does not support the base model without Bose. Ouch, aftermarket radio installation is a dog eat dog world!

Edit: I put the factory radio back in and used the fade Front/Rear and Left/Right functions (two functions that I have not used in ages) I realize now that I only have one speaker working, the front right one. Nevertheless with only 1 speaker it is 10dB louder than it is with the new head unit in. I think I need to get the wiring diagram for the speakers out.

If it is the case that the RP5-GM11 is the wrong adapter then what is the best path forward, should I install an amp ? The saga continues !

By the way the rear view camera installed above the rear window is not that bad a view. I kind of like it

Last edited:
It's up to you if you want to swap out the adapter or you could add an amp but then you'd probably have to upgrade the speakers as they might not be able to handle the amp's output. However, you could also connect the speakers directly to the HU's speaker output wires.

budwich

Just reading the rp5-gm11, I don't see why an outboard amp matters.... outside of the amp on/off wiring, which I assume is not connected.

I have questions around any mute function as perhaps somehow that function is playing a role.

I am still wondering about why nothing worked and then started working (limping)... after throwing a ground on the camera... hmmm.

OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Ok, so I think nothing worked at first because the PAC adapter is a computer and it does not immediately work when you plug it in. It has to boot up and go through a software initiation of some kind. I am speculating.

Ok, so Im back tracking to find why 3 of my speakers are not working with the factory radio back. Once this is solved I can think about remaining issues with the new Pioneer HU.

I take out my wiring schematic in ENTERTAINMENT.pdf and on page 4, figure2 for the base model and the abbreviations for the wire colors are cryptic. Can anyone translate the color codes on page 4 ?

TN ?
GY ? (gray ?)
D-GN ? (dark green ?)
L-GN ? (light green ?)
BK (black)
D-BU (dark blue ?)

Ok, so I think nothing worked at first because the PAC adapter is a computer and it does not immediately work when you plug it in. It has to boot up and go through a software initiation of some kind. I am speculating.

Ok, so Im back tracking to find why 3 of my speakers are not working with the factory radio back. Once this is solved I can think about remaining issues with the new Pioneer HU.

I take out my wiring schematic in ENTERTAINMENT.pdf and on page 4, figure2 for the base model and the abbreviations for the wire colors are cryptic. Can anyone translate the color codes on page 4 ?

TN ?
GY ? (gray ?)
D-GN ? (dark green ?)
L-GN ? (light green ?)
BK (black)
D-BU (dark blue ?)
Is the only speaker that is making any sound with the factory radio installed the one in the driver's door? I read somewhere that another Chevy owner had the same problem - I think it was the amp - but the LS doesn't have an amp external from the head unit...was the head unit functioning through all four speakers before the Pioneer install?

- southsidesmoka

Last edited:
OP
OP
paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Silver Supporter
Im certain that the only speaker that works is the passenger side front (right front). With the factory stereo using the fade control: fade left gives no sound at all, and when I fade to the rear, no sound at all. Fantastic sound when I fade right front.

Last edited:
@psa55 Whip out your DMM, check the color coding for each set of wires for each malfunctioning speaker and proceed to measure the resistance on each set of speaker wires from the harness end. Naturally, you should come up with 4 ohms per driver: however, no resistance means broken wires, disconnected speakers or damaged speakers. Time to troubleshoot, brother.

- southsidesmoka

psa55

I'll chime in here as this sounds similar to what I was dealing with last year. I only had one working speaker. TB is an LT, no Bose. 3 speakers were toast. I grabbed a couple wires off the front driver's door harness and wired up an old speaker and it worked just fine. Figure the three were blown. I went to the junk yard and found two different TB's that had the Bose system in them. I took the rear speakers at 6.5" Bose speakers out and installed them all the way around. Figured the last working speaker was long for the road. I didn't buy harness adapters, just soldered them up.

FYI, the front Bose speakers won't work as they require an amp to power them as they are larger and have tweeters in them.

My install of my head unit this week is in the appearance forum... New stereo, no power. Think I've got it all sorted out.

Last edited:

Members online

Top Bottom