12K 5th Wheel

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thread was started here- http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/any-diesel-owners-here.14210/

While we were looking at campers, there was no immediate rush. We found a good deal on one that just needs a gooooooooood cleaning. What's the problem you ask? We don't have anything to tow it. Our worst case scenario is to clean it up real nice and maybe re-sell it if we can't find a good tow vehicle.

1997 Damon Challenger 30RK
Trailer GVWR is 11,900LBS

We've been looking at the big three diesels. 7.3 Ford's, 6.6 GM's and 5.9 Dodge's. We've seen a few ford 6.0's for sale that are either stock (unknown history) or have been "bullet proofed". The wife likes the Dodge's but they are pretty pricey (just found a loaded megacab). Ford's seem to be the best bang for the buck but you have to find the right engine or do the mods. And GM's look nice and are known to be solid but again on the pricier side. Our hard budget is $16,800 to spend which is where the challenge comes in. The other thread I have does have the what to look for's and details that way.

Tow vehicle requirements-
4x4
Crew cab (full 4 door)

Nice to Have's-
fully loaded

So far, we have found a few but require 1.5hr + drives just to get there. And, they are smaller shops that don't have standard hours. Is there a series I should be looking at? 2500 vs 2500, 250 vs 350? It looks like using GVWR of both a 2005 2500 tow and trailer would fall within the GCVWR without doing actual numbers.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This is where the capability vs. Comfort comes into play. Will a 2500 do it? Yes. And it will do it very well. But let's say a 3500 dually will do it alot more comfortably... but if you plan to use this as a daily driver I would say do a 2500. If it's basically being used as the two vehicle I would lean more towards a 3500. That being said, a 2500hd which I think is avaiable in either gas or diesel may not be a bad option. Most that has been behind the sierra is about 9k. On a regular hitch, no wd no nothing. Not even brakes. And it was fine except for the lack of brakes in turns... benefits of the diesel, better economy. Benefits of the gas, much easier to find a station with gas then woth diesel, atleast around here.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks. And yes, it would be more of a universal/semi-daily use. The 3500/350 DRW would be nice but probably not practical, SRW would be OK. The diesel is preferred for the mpg gain that can be had with just a tune and of course the tow power. Diesel stations aren't too bad around here. I wouldn't have the slightest if/when we go on trips though.

My friend has a 26' TT they put behind a sierra w/diesel. They used to have a tahoe with the 5.3. He said it was night and day difference. I know they are different in every way possible though. The same friends parents have a large 5th wheel (at least 2 slide-outs) they use a 2500HD with the 6.0. Unfortunately, I don't know any other specs. I do remember them saying they get about 9 when pulling it.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks. And yes, it would be more of a universal/semi-daily use. The 3500/350 DRW would be nice but probably not practical, SRW would be OK. The diesel is preferred for the mpg gain that can be had with just a tune and of course the tow power. Diesel stations aren't too bad around here. I wouldn't have the slightest if/when we go on trips though.

My friend has a 26' TT they put behind a sierra w/diesel. They used to have a tahoe with the 5.3. He said it was night and day difference. I know they are different in every way possible though. The same friends parents have a large 5th wheel (at least 2 slide-outs) they use a 2500HD with the 6.0. Unfortunately, I don't know any other specs. I do remember them saying they get about 9 when pulling it.
Well the 6.0l gets about 9 anyway. :biggrin:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
If it comes to having to get a gasser. I'd be OK with it but the diesel is preferred. I did come across several 6.0's and one 8.1 though. Even a few 6.8's. Still trying to hold out for those good LLY or LBZ vins

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know about your state, but here diesels don't need inspections. They only do smog here and don't check them. So it may be another plus of a diesel.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online