10 Sports Cars GM Regrets Making (And 10 They Regret Discontinuing)

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Interesting read although an opinion of the author only. He also flubbed on the 1978 Chevelle SS as there was no such car. There was a 1977 Chevelle Laguna S3 but no SS. Research fail on that one.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Most I agree with, a couple I dont...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Elaborate?

I actually agree about the 82 Camaro regret making. I was a teenager in the 80's and the 3rd gen Camaro's were as breathtaking as asthma. It had a 4 cylinder Iron Duke 151ci available and top of the line 5.0L wheezing 165hp in the Z28. Styling was good, power was anemic.

Actually, the 80's was just lame for the auto industry except for the GN. Way ahead of it's time.

Reactions: Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I loved my 85 Tuned Port Injection Z28. That car was a ton of fun with a few modifications. Still would love another one. I do prefer my 01 LS1 TA, but that first Z holds some great memories. As many as the 84 600 HP Z28 beast I traded it for at one point.

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never liked the newer GTO personally.

Not sure some of those are even sports cars.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was also surprised about the GTO. The G8 was way more popular. And the Chevy SS, although a great car, was considered a bit of a failure because of low sales and high price. And all of these, as well as the Solstice, Grand Prix and Sky weren't cancelled, they died along with the killing of Pontiac, Saturn and Holden.

And he's using carcomplaints to base himself too. If he were to make the same list for trucks, I'm sure he'd put the GMT360 in the regret making category because of the complaints and relatively short production run.

However we can agree that it was a huge mistake to cancel the 4th gen F body and they're about to do the same mistake again.

Sorry for posting this piece of garbage article. It came up on my Google news feed and thought it would generate some interesting discussions.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Elaborate?

The Grand Prix and Sky and Solstice were all excellent vehicles. But as mentioned, they were killed not because of problems, but because the brand died.

The SS was a bad ass car that should have been kept in production, being just a rebadged, and German car killer, Pontiac G8. But Holden being killed....

Never met a diesel powered Camaro.. And I did drive a 2.5L Camaro once, I actually liked it. I owned a 2.8L powered 25th Anniversary edition, and loved it.

The ATS-V and XTS-V I never liked...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Interesting read although an opinion of the author only. He also flubbed on the 1978 Chevelle SS as there was no such car. Research fail on that one.
Not to mention that the picture is that of a 64-65 era Chevelle

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I would add the 75 Corvette . After lusting after fuelly and big block Vetts. I finally could afford a new one in 75.
Oh boy! no big block and two garbage small blocks around 150 HP offered. Sold it in less than one year. Had we had the internet then I could have found a low mile 1970 with mega-balls...😭

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online