1" wheel spacers

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I'm looking to get 1" wheel spacers. What issues will i expect once I have them on? I know to look for hub centric spacers.

I'm getting them because I can barely get a finger tip between the tire and the upper ball joint.

tires are 245/75R16 duratracs

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If they're the kind without their own studs, they're SHIMS and are to be shunned. If they have their own studs, you're going to be grinding 1/4" to 1/2" off all your existing studs and that's just nuts. Go 1.5" spacers if you're needing them at all.

But in your case, you don't need them. Any space between the tire and upper ball joint is enough. There's nothing that will make the tire pooch out wider at the top and hit it. You can always grind off 1/8" from the ball joint mounting part of the steering knuckle in case you're worried about the sharp edge.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's fine. As I said, nothing but snow or mud could stuck to the tire to fill that gap, unless you drive through rocks and sticks a lot and worry about them getting caught. If the wheel bearing wobbles so much that the tire hits, you have bigger problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Q8Cmruxic

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Bearings are brand new, same with cv axels and tierods. So no wobble. Thanks though.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I was wondering why you wanted spacers with stock tires... They are just above the tires I had run with a set that had about 1/8" gap when I went up in size. I ran it that way for about 6 months before I got my new rims.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
1 inch spacers are fine. You won't even get into threads just taking off the extra stud that doesn't hold anything.

Larson26

Mar 11, 2015
Depending on the cost of the spacers, and the look you're going for, you may just want to buy a set of wheels with a lower offset. This will bring the tire further out away from the upper ball joint. But as stated above the tire will not hit unless debris gets stuck in between the tire and upper ball joint. I would personally stay away from spacers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online