$1.50 Quad beams w/ or w/o fogs (4-hi or 6-hi)

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Quad Beams W/ or W/O Fogs (4-Hi or 6-Hi)

there are a few threads out there about 4 hi and 6 hi but they definitely have more steps and are not as easy as this.
i followed a thread on the OS
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58678
6-Hi did not work for me i tried quick connects and connecting straight to the diode idk why but you may have better luck than me, just remember to unplug the battery before working with the bcm

Tools:
8mm socket or wrench
pliers

Parts:
RadioShack IN4004 Part #276-1103
http://www.radioshack.com/1n4004-micro-1-amp-rectifier-diode/2761103.html

1.you have to remove the negative cable from the battery first then locate the bcm under the rear seat

2.after you find the bcm unplug both lower and upper harness for ease of install
IMG_20140929_142542.jpg

3. now is a good time to trim the diode ends down to a better size (only do this is you are doing 4-hi only, unless you use a quick connect wire for 6-hi)
IMG_20140929_142559.jpg

then remove the blue part of the plug on the lower harness by pulling the tabs up and around where they sit
IMAG0622.jpg

now find the pink/white wire and black/white wire, they were right next to each other, then insert the side of the diode with the stripe in front of the black/white wire, the other end of the diode goes to the pink/white wire (picture is just to show how its done the harness shown is wrong)
IMG_20140929_143225.jpg

then put the blue part back on making shure it holds together
IMG_20140929_143247.jpg

the finished product should look like this
IMG_20140929_142903.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

4. That all it takes now plug it back in and hook the battery cable up and try it out, turn on the headlights and make shure there on, then push the headlights stalk forward for high..."quad beams" and enjoy :biggrin:

TIP: After connecting the battery turn the key to on and DO NOT start the car let the hvac have a few minutes to its self to relearn its positions. then start the car and enjoy :biggrin:

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
ok now if you want 6-hi then you have two ways you can use the diode by connecting it straight to the other diode or make a quick connect wire

1. if you decide to connect diodes then you have to connect the non striped part of the diode to the green/white wire on the upper harness then connect the other end to the pink/white wire part of the other diode on the lower harness
IMAG0627.jpg
IMAG0630.jpg

2. if you decide to make a quick connect wire then you would need something like this

IMAG0611.jpg

and connect it on the green/white and pink/white wire just remember if you use heat shrink dont cover the striped side you need to know which way is which when connecting

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Why did the 6 hi mod not work for you? Did you follow Fletch09's thread fron the OS?

Do you have another option for 6 hi, other than whats in the thread from the OS?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Why did the 6 hi mod not work for you? Did you follow Fletch09's thread fron the OS?

Do you have another option for 6 hi, other than whats in the thread from the OS?
i followed it the same way it said but i did read a few pages after the op it worked for someone connecting the striped side to the striped side

so it would be
upper to lower harness:
non striped to green/white
striped to black/white

lower:
striped to black/white
non striped to pink/white

also i changed post 2 to show how i did it which is the way the op said

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Gerbil21 said:
i followed it the same way it said but i did read a few pages after the op it worked for someone connecting the striped side to the striped side

so it would be
upper to lower harness:
striped to black/white

lower:
striped to black/white

Ok. So you wired your 6 hi like Fletch09 posted on the OS.

Did you happen to try running the diode for the fogs from the green/white wire (Non-striped side of diode) in the upper harness to the black/white wire (Striped side of diode) in the lower harness or just going by what other posters mentioned?

Just curious because I did the diode mod for the quad beams last weekend and I plan to hook the fogs up this weekend.

Nice touch with with using the quick splices, connectors, wire, and heat shrink :thumbsup: . I did not like the idea of just trying to jam the ends of the diode into the connector of the harness.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Ok. So you wired your 6 hi like Fletch09 posted on the OS.

Did you happen to try running the diode for the fogs from the green/white wire (Non-striped side of diode) in the upper harness to the black/white wire (Striped side of diode) in the lower harness or just going by what other posters mentioned?

Just curious because the did the diode mod for the quad beams last weekend and going to mess with hooking the fogs up this weekend.

Nice touch with with using the quick splices, connectors, wire, and heat shrink :thumbsup: . I did not like the idea of just trying to jam the ends of the diode into the connector of the harness.
i did not try that but i will do it later today and post back. it didn't make since why in the op has it wired as such since the silver striped part is basically a wall so the power would go from pink to black but when adding fogs it would go from pink to basically an electrical wall. when i try it i will use the t taps

Reactions: dmanns67

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Gerbil21 said:

so it would be
upper to lower harness:
striped to black/white

lower:
striped to black/white

IIRC, with out going back and re reading, you almost have to read thru the whole thing, since changes were made as the thread grew.
nice write up. always nice to have other options.

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
fletch09 said:
IIRC, with out going back and re reading, you almost have to read thru the whole thing, since changes were made as the thread grew.
nice write up. always nice to have other options.
We it didn't work no matter how I tryed it

(green to black)
Striped to striped
Black to striped

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Can you provide a link to the fuse block method ? I think that maybe the quick wire would be the best way to do the quad also.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
i am going to try the 6-hi this way when i do ill get some pics

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
ok well i got the 6 hi working perfect :biggrin: i will take some more pics later it worked with the silver stripe on the diode facing the low beam relay (HDM Relay) i just put the diode in the slots and shoved the relays in there. When i first did it i put it backwards (silver facing fog relay) and nothing worked then i tried it this way and the fog indicator light was on but no fogs since i didn't push the relay all the way in once i did everything worked perfect.

there are two ways of doing this you can connect the diode like this low beam -> high beam -> fog light and it should be 6-hi with the high beams selected and fogs should still work
or you can do it like this low beam -> fog light & low beam -> high beam either here or at bcm

All work was done on a 05 I6 even thought it should be the same for the v8, ss, ext if done in the under hood fuse box. im not shure about the wire colors on the bcm for the different models and years
Final%2Bwrite%2Bup.jpg

2nd.jpg

these are here just in case the link fails and then pics wont show
Final write up.jpg
2nd.jpg
IMAG0644.jpg
IMAG0645.jpg
IMAG0647.jpg

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Nice writeup. Were you able to get the 6 hi mod to work on the BCM or just on the fuse box?
just the fuse box idk why it didn't work on the bcm :confused: so i had to go around it but i guess it just didn't want to give up without a fight lol :rotfl:

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for the info, Think I will make a harness that will use the "T" taps that will do all 6, then if I wish to do away with the driving lamps simply disconnect the lead or simple remove the harness to go back to stock and leave the taps attached. Will this mod still allow normal function off all stock lamps ? just add the additional lighting to HIGH beams ?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Gerbil21 said:
just the fuse box idk why it didn't work on the bcm :confused: so i had to go around it but i guess it just didn't want to give up without a fight lol :rotfl:
Interesting. I am going to try to hook the fogs up on the BCM Saturday. If I can get it to work, I will report back. If not I will follow your fuse box method for the 6 hi.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
mrwitty_1 said:
Thanks for the info, Think I will make a harness that will use the "T" taps that will do all 6, then if I wish to do away with the driving lamps simply disconnect the lead or simple remove the harness to go back to stock and leave the taps attached. Will this mod still allow normal function off all stock lamps ? just add the additional lighting to HIGH beams ?
Yes it retains all stock functions.. Just when you go to highs or flash to pass, all 4 or 6 will come on..

Reactions: mrwitty_1

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
for eveyone else with 4-hi from what i saw everything worked perfectly normal, the lows and fogs worked the same im not shure about flash to pass (i would be kind of hard to pull the stalk and look at headlights lol) but people say the highs turn off instead, so in other words everything still works

as for what you asked for with 6-hi i haven't checked yet (i m going to in about 5 min) but the way i did it which would basically be the same green/white to pink/white for fogs the fogs come on all the time with drl's and whenever the lows are on also since lows are on with highs you get 6-hi i will go and check everything now when i go out. also ill will take some pics

one other thing i read was that you may have to strip some insulation off since the wires are so small the t taps basically push the insulation down i think that may of been what happened to me.

Good luck

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
dmanns67 said:
Interesting. I am going to try to hook the fogs up on the BCM Saturday. If I can get it to work, I will report back. If not I will follow your fuse box method for the 6 hi.
I'm really surprised you haven't done this mod or the fuse box method David..

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Midnyteryder196 said:
I'm really surprised you haven't done this mod or the fuse box method David..
Yeah, I know. I should have tried it before thinking it would not work with my projectors. The quad beam is done. I just need to hook up my fogs for the 6 hi.

I went with a bi-xenon projector for my retrofit, so currently I do not have a 9005 bulb installed. I bought the GM specific correction splitters and high beam spiltters from TRS and could not get either of them to work with my retro. The only thing that worked with the projector was the flash to pass.

With the projector I rarely use my high beams (Holding back the stalk while driving, PITA), but it would be nice to have on the windy/hilly roads that I travel at night. I was thinking with the diode mod that my solenoid in the projector would not move the cutoff shield to produce the hi beam. It was not until I talked to Carlton and he informed me that the diode mod is the route he went for his projectors.

Now my bi-xenon projector functions as designed. Since I have HIDs in my fog lights, I would like them to stay on as well. I am also going to purchase some of Kevin's new Cree LED headlights that he will be getting in sometime this month. He said they are rated at 3600 lumens a piece, which is about 600 more lumens than HIDs.

With the bi-xenon projector in hi beam mode, HIDs in the fogs, and 3600 lumen Crees in the hi beams I say I will have no issues driving at night.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
park lights with fogs selected

IMAG0652.jpg

low beams with auto on fogs

IMAG0654.jpg

6-Hi

IMAG0655.jpg

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Gerbil, after reading your post over again did your mod at the BCM work with the quad and all 6 ? I was looking over the wiring diagrams and think it would be easy to make a plug in harness that will do the mod. Just wanted to make sure that it worked for you before making up a harness. I wasn't sure which way the current flowed reference the diode, seems like that would be in reverse but maybe I'm not understanding the connections from the BCM. Not doubting you please don't take it that way. See anything wrong with making a harness and using the "T" taps for connections ? Thanks for the great post !

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Gerbil said the BCM mod for 6 hi did not work for him for whatever reason.

I just finished this mod today and it works just fine for 6 hi on the BCM.

Lower harness- silver striped side of diode to black/white wire. The non-striped side of the diode to the pink/white wire.

Upper harness- Non-striped side of diode to the green/white wire. Silver striped side of diode runs to the side of the diode going to the pink/white wire.

I found it easier to work with if you use butt connectors and wire on each end of the diode. Then you can use quick splices to connect the wires.

Reactions: mrwitty_1

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
I wasn't sure if he was saying the original post didn't work or this one. I have plans on making a harness with the 2 diodes coming off the pink/white with connectors on all three leads and T taps on the BCM wires. Hope to post pictures of the finished project. Thank You

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
mrwitty_1 said:
I wasn't sure if he was saying the original post didn't work or this one. I have plans on making a harness with the 2 diodes coming off the pink/white with connectors on all three leads and T taps on the BCM wires. Hope to post pictures of the finished project. Thank You
At the bcm I only got quads to work but Im quite sure its only because of the t taps not working for me, I thought I used the smallest I had but then found out I had one smaller that might of worked with the wire better but by then I didn't want to keep t tapping the whole harness that is why I added the fogs for 6hi at the underhood fuse box in mix with the quads at the bcm.

doing the harness your way would work as well and would have auto fogs that will be on with DRL (this will also happen when you connect at relay in underhood box.) But having separate connections from green and pink should allow you to turn on and off fogs when ever except in 6-hi and flash to pass. Just make shire you put the diodes after the quick connects so you can always flip them if anything or put them in directly if the taps don't work

And no offense taken at all I'm happy to help so ask away [emoji1]

a diode is basically a one way door, power will only go one way you can know by looking at its symbol -->| (this side is where the silver stripe is) current goes from left to right (indicated by the arrow) and nothing comes back

also one other thing is there is no live power flow, all the connections you make are grounds the wiring diagrams i got from here don't say anything but after checking bbbind.com who has free diagrams i finally found it. i had to check two diffrent ones for getting 6 hi (fog and headlight) you will notice at the bcm it shows the connections with grounds. (those pickfork looking symbols)

If I would do it again I would I would do quads at the bcm and 6hi at the fuse box since you wouldn't even need tools lol

Do remember after connecting battery DONT start car let the ac do its thing or you can end up with broken blend doors just let it sit for 5min or until it finishes going from hot to cold

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Thank you ! Makes perfect sense now that I realize you are controlling ground to the relays and not power, guess I'm still stuck in the old ways...lol If you need anything I have connection to All Data Pro. I had printed out the pin outs for the BCM just never gave the ground a thought when thinking about the direction of the diodes.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
mrwitty_1 said:
Thank you ! Makes perfect sense now that I realize you are controlling ground to the relays and not power, guess I'm still stuck in the old ways...lol If you need anything I have connection to All Data Pro. I had printed out the pin outs for the BCM just never gave the ground a thought when thinking about the direction of the diodes.
Lol I thought it was power too since the diagrams aren't complete and don't show it correctly. After going through all them that's when it all added up it.

thanks for the offer i will definitely need some diagrams in the future

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
1011142057.jpg1011142057a.jpg1011142057b.jpgGreat mod. Just did it. I CAN SEE :thankyou:
2 diodes in fuse box.Lights work the way I wanted. Low - low with fog - quad with fog - flash to pass all 6 Lovin it. Also found that my battery was shot.... Had to run to wally for a new one.
Don't forget to dim..................

Many Thank You's

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
looks good :smile: and thank you!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Gerbil21 said:
ok well i got the 6 hi working perfect [emoji3] i will take some more pics later it worked with the silver stripe on the diode facing the low beam relay (HDM Relay) i just put the diode in the slots and shoved the relays in there. When i first did it i put it backwards (silver facing fog relay) and nothing worked then i tried it this way and the fog indicator light was on but no fogs since i didn't push the relay all the way in once i did everything worked perfect.

there are two ways of doing this you can connect the diode like this low beam -> high beam -> fog light and it should be 6-hi with the high beams selected and fogs should still work
or you can do it like this low beam -> fog light & low beam -> high beam either here or at bcm

All work was done on a 05 I6 even thought it should be the same for the v8, ss, ext if done in the under hood fuse box. im not shure about the wire colors on the bcm for the different models and years
Final%2Bwrite%2Bup.jpg

2nd.jpg

these are here just in case the link fails and then pics wont show
attachicon.gif
Final write up.jpg
attachicon.gif
2nd.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG0644.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG0645.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG0647.jpg
Okay, quick question.. Are you sure pin 85 on the high beam relay is the one on the top left that you have marked in the pic? Reason I ask is because I tried this the other day (running off of the other thread missing pics, didn't know you added this to your thread) and couldn't get it to work. I used the top right pin (right of the one you marked black) on the high beam relay...could've sworn it was numbered 85.. If that's why it didn't work for me I'm going to feel DUMB.

Also, you have the diode in your pic drawn with the stripe going towards the low beam relay..shouldn't it be towards the high beam?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Mounce said:
Okay, quick question.. Are you sure pin 85 on the high beam relay is the one on the top left that you have marked in the pic? Reason I ask is because I tried this the other day (running off of the other thread missing pics, didn't know you added this to your thread) and couldn't get it to work. I used the top right pin (right of the one you marked black) on the high beam relay...could've sworn it was numbered 85.. If that's why it didn't work for me I'm going to feel DUMB.

Also, you have the diode in your pic drawn with the stripe going towards the low beam relay..shouldn't it be towards the high beam?
I am not fully shure which is pin 85 for the high beam relay since I added highs at the bcm, in my picture it says should be pin 85 but I marked the top left pin and you used top right maybe that is why?, also on the relay itself there should be a diagram that would show pin 85 or on the bottom of the relay it should be marked.

just wondering but why don't you do it at the bcm you won't have to even use a wire just the diode?

also the silver stripe is supposed to point towards ground think of it like a down hill stream with the stripe facing the way the stream goes, in this case towards pin 5 of the low beam relay so all the ground will flow to the low beam relay completing the circuit of the high beam when its on but keeping the lows since it is using its ground, but it won't back ground (go upstream) that is why if you have low beams on the highs aren't on too only when selected.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Gerbil21 said:
I am not fully shure which is pin 85 for the high beam relay since I added highs at the bcm, in my picture it says should be pin 85 but I marked the top left pin and you used top right maybe that is why?, also on the relay itself there should be a diagram that would show pin 85 or on the bottom of the relay it should be marked.

just wondering but why don't you do it at the bcm you won't have to even use a wire just the diode?

also the silver stripe is supposed to point towards ground think of it like a down hill stream with the stripe facing the way the stream goes, in this case towards pin 5 of the low beam relay so all the ground will flow to the low beam relay completing the circuit of the high beam when its on but keeping the lows since it is using its ground, but it won't back ground (go upstream) that is why if you have low beams on the highs aren't on too only when selected.
Yeah I looked at the pin numbers on the bottom by the pins and could've sworn that it was top-right. I had both silver stripes facing the high beam relay. But then again..if I had it all in the right pins, the high beams would've been on when low beams were. So maybe I did actually goof on the pin numbers.

Reason for not doing it at the bcm is because I don't want to get that deep into things if I can get it to work right there in the open, non-cramped space. If I can't get it to work there, I'll probably move on to the bcm.

Anyone think I should make a new write-up for this method WITH pics since the other one lost it's pictures in the swap?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Mounce said:
Yeah I looked at the pin numbers on the bottom by the pins and could've sworn that it was top-right. I had both silver stripes facing the high beam relay. But then again..if I had it all in the right pins, the high beams would've been on when low beams were. So maybe I did actually goof on the pin numbers.

Reason for not doing it at the bcm is because I don't want to get that deep into things if I can get it to work right there in the open, non-cramped space. If I can't get it to work there, I'll probably move on to the bcm.

Anyone think I should make a new write-up for this method WITH pics since the other one lost it's pictures in the swap?
iirc it is the pin on the left, also both silver stripes? You mean the stripe on both diodes? they should be pointing towards the low beam (hdm) relay.

Also its really not that cramped at the bcm just disconnect the battery and unplug both harnesses at the bcm for extra space and just push in the diode.

Also yes you should do a write up for doing it at the fuse box if you get it working

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Okay..after playing around with it for twenty-ish minutes I got it to work. I could get pin 5 of low beam relay to trigger fog light pin 85 but no way could I get 85 of high beam to trigger anything, flipped doses around and nothing.

Finally I tried pin 86 of high beam relay and what would ya know...it worked. Just gotta clean things up or redo them and put them in good.

Your statement of silver stripe towards low beam and fog light is incorrect though, stripes towards high beam relay is what worked for me.

Will probably finish this mod up tomorrow, again, anyone have an opinion on whether I should do a write up? Don't wanna get everything heat-shrinked and someone say "hey, you should've made a write up!" because at the point of getting everything neat, I won't want to take it all apart.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Mounce said:
Okay..after playing around with it for twenty-ish minutes I got it to work. I could get pin 5 of low beam relay to trigger fog light pin 85 but no way could I get 85 of high beam to trigger anything, flipped doses around and nothing.

Finally I tried pin 86 of high beam relay and what would ya know...it worked. Just gotta clean things up or redo them and put them in good.

Your statement of silver stripe towards low beam and fog light is incorrect though, stripes towards high beam relay is what worked for me.

Will probably finish this mod up tomorrow, again, anyone have an opinion on whether I should do a write up? Don't wanna get everything heat-shrinked and someone say "hey, you should've made a write up!" because at the point of getting everything neat, I won't want to take it all apart.
Do a write up Garth [emoji106]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175