1-2 Accumulator Piston Position

bwhaldeman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
My 96 Chevy K1500 has been having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd. It runs up high rpms until you let off gas before shift until tranny is warm, then it is better. Changed out to aluminum accumulator pistons, but have a question on the 1-2 position.
The older models have the piston into the housing first, then the spring. Mine in 96 came with the spring first, then the piston.
I've had mixed signals and the Transgo kit does it the old way (piston first then spring), but I'm not sure what to do!

Can anyone advise on this issue? Thanks!

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
My TB has the spring first then the piston, and the Transgo kit showed just the opposite. I tried to find the answer to this, and the only semi good reference I could find is that you'll get a harder shift if the spring is resting on the separator plate. I put mine back they way it was.

kawaholic

Sep 9, 2013
Hmmm, interesting...Mine had the springs in first then the piston and the transgo kit had them shown the same way. My 4th accumulator had the piston first then the spring but the transgo kit showed spring first then the piston. I put them in according to the kit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online