'09 Saab 9-7X "Banging" Noise in Defog/Defroster Mode

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Hi Fellas,

Sorry if this topic was already discussed, but nothing showed up while doing a search. Wife's GMT360 Saab has digital dual climate control. When either the defog or defrostor modes are selected, there is a banging noise inside the dash, which does not stop until either mode is switched off. From lurking around, I've learned that there are 5 actuators controlling blend doors, but was wondering whether I should first try the remove fuse to reset the actuator effort or just locate the actuator controlling the blend door tied-in to the defrost mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Just replace the actuator. I had my defrost actuator with a crack in the wheel. I thought I could superglue the plastic wheel together but the gear wheel was out of round. The gears didn't mesh. The actuator is ~$10 from amazon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Defrost Actuator

I lied, it's $12 but for the price it works very well for me. Don't mind the picture, I don't think it's a direct representation. It works for the temp & I believe modes also, double check the part numbers on them before replacement.

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Hi and thanks for the responses.

Just removed it, took the cover off and reindexed the actuator that was making the banging noise which was the mode actuator the second one up from the bottom on the driver's side, ACdelco part # 15-73596. My next concern is that the HVAC interface gear to white one attached to the actuator falls down while removing the actuator. Was wondering if there is some sort of procedure for re-establishing the prior gear mesh orientation or to reinstall with out the concern gear orientation and cross my fingers?

Was thinking about using a piece of duct tape to hold it in place, remove the tape after actuator is in-place, but there is not a lot of room for doing anything except to reinstall the actuator.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A thick grease, or petroleum jelly. It will keep the gears lubricated after the fact. At least thats what I would do.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Thank you for your help. Upon using the link for indexing gears noticed a single damaged tooth.

I'll use the grease trick to help index the HVAC side gear with the actuator gear.

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Was able to swap the damaged gear with the help of those who responded to this thread by swapping a gear from one of the two actuators brought from the local junkyard after reviewing the internal gear positioning link. Thanks again for your help especially to Mooseman.

Rather than use grease to hold the HVAC mating gear, used the end of a wire wrap it in place so that they are somewhat indexed correctly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher