08 TB will no start after engine swap

WarenR

Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Corning
I put new motor in and I have all grounds connected all plugs plugged In and. I've got fuel but it just will not start I have power to my coils but no spark can anyone help me out ....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved the thread to the proper place and titled it better.

We need more details than that. Reason for engine swap? Replacement engine the same year? What was swapped from old to new engine? Kept your old PCM? Tried to communicate with the PCM by trying to pull codes? All fuses good? Does it crank? Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to RUN?

Reactions: northcreek

WarenR

Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Corning
The motor that was in it had a rod knocking and my friend has a towing company and he gets in touch with me and the one he had was older with way less miles .2004 the only differance was a sencer on the back of the head I've checked all fuses all grounds all the plugs may sure the fuel pump is working all my lights come on I have power to one of the wires going in to the coil. But no spark . Also the car had been sitting for a year without a battery in it and yes I am using the same econ I just have no spark

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Did you change anything in the fuel system? Envoy/TB's from 05+ used a return less fuel system.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you put a 2004 engine in your 2008? That will NOT work as the crank reluctor wheel inside the 04 engine is a 7x while the 08 is a 58x.
4.2L interchangeability by years

WarenR

Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Corning
So can I take this reluctor wheel from my old motor and put in the older one to make it fire up ?

So what your saying is that the motor will not work at all and I need to change motors again there is no way to modify it to work ...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So can I take this reluctor wheel from my old motor and put in the older one to make it fire up ?

No. It's part of the crankshaft.

So what your saying is that the motor will not work at all and I need to change motors again there is no way to modify it to work ...

Yes.

WarenR

Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Corning
All you said was Yes ? Is that a yes that I could modify it to work or is it yes I have to pull it and find another motor ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, it will not work, and yes, you will need to pull this motor. It can't be made to work in this truck.

WarenR

Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Corning
08 and 09 are the only ones that interchange that really sucks well i guess ill be pulling me another motor this weekend well thank you for your time i do appreciate it....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that sucks big time, and 08-09 engines are a little harder to come by due to lower production numbers as well.

You can post it up in the for sale section, with location.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher