NEED HELP 08 Suburban, Deleting VLOM, Adding Cam, Tuning Questions

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
My DOD is acting up on my vehicle so I decided to just delete it and throw in a cam and a 3200 stall converter. I know in order to install the cam I have to get new lifters and a new valley cover plate to replace the VLOM manifold. I am going with a Texas Speed 228R cam with the 112 LSA and a 3200 stall torque converter from Circle D Specialties. I know I can get a tune from a few places online, but if I buy HPTuners myself how hard would it be to tune myself? I have to tune for the cam and torque converter, delete the DOD, and a few other simple things like tire size.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In addition to the TS&P 228R Camshaft Kit... You can also use their DOD Delete Kit as well. On each order page...you can add in additional components as needed... But watch how quickly the Costs go Sky High. If you opt for the 228R Camshaft... with a 0.600" Lift for both Intake & Exhaust ...you'll need to get the Brian Tooley version of the 0.080" Chrome-Moly Steel Push Rods vs using the GM OEM "bendable" Stock flavor. Same thing with either using the Stock Valve Springs or even the LS6 "Blue" Beehive version... They will not do for anything above .550" Lift and Double Springs will be needed to prevent Valve Float at Higher RPM. Again ... TSP's Site has these optional choices for Add Ins on the Order Page...just be ready for the Wallet Rape.

Unless you have the time and inclination to deal with the Expensive and Steep Learning Curve of purchasing and using HP-Tuners Hardware, your money would be better spent in finding a Local Tune Shop and cost out their Cam and Torque Converter Dial-In and Dyno Charges. By the time you get done buying the HP-Tuners Hardware and other necessary gear (such as an indispensable AEM Wide Band O2 Sensor Kit) and then having a proper Bung Welded into one of the pipes leading to the front being just in front of one of the CATS... You'll be spending a Bushel Basket full of Bread for everything required.

It would be great if you can do all of this work yourself and then have the vehicle sledded over to the Tuner's Shop and NOT fire up the Motor for longer than a few minutes. Doing so will run you the risk of ruining all of that work by accidentally powering the Motor at Higher RPM with a WAY TOO LEAN accidental Stoich of around 17:1. Better to let the Pros get their hands on it first and set things up just right so you can idle at Stop Signs and Red Lights and not stall out every ten feet. Your idea for the 3200 Stall Torque Converter will definitely help with that issue. There are some Threads in the TECH 2 sub-forums that have more details about HP-Tuners and a good introductory video on what all is involved. --==Best of Luck!==--

Last edited:

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Updated Thread: https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...sable-cam-swap-bad-lifter-from-factory.21081/

I actually ended up sacrificing the lopping idle I wanted with that cam and went with a Stage 2 Truck Low Lift cam that a TSP rep recommended since my vehicle was so heavy. This way I could use more stock parts and didn't have to get the new TC. I did buy a HP Tuners programmer and ordered a tune from mailordertune.com. Could not be happier with the results. Truck runs great and has plenty of power. Drives amazing, just need to figure out the noise issue stated in the thread above.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's Great that you have moved on this Engine Performance Improvement Project with such Energy and Alacrity. I Salute You!

Regarding your successful purchase and use of the HP Tuners Hardware and the Canned Tune, many others will follow your creation of another dedicated Thread on this subject with rapt attention. So any thoughtful 'Step By Steps' procedures you can provide about how you obtained your Performance Tune from mailordertune.com describing any subtle adjustments or additional add-on equipment you needed on your particular Truck Motor to get the satisfying results you described will be very much appreciated.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Thanks. I will do a write-up as soon as the ticking problem is fixed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.