08 no crank, no start, but dash lights up

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
2008 LS 4.2, 4x4, 98k miles

This morning, went to start, turned the key, and all the dash lights are on, but no crank and no start. I removed key, and tried again, and it started.

This cooler weather seems to be killing off failing components. First my thermostat, now it seems my ignition switch or battery is failing?

I know the previous owner (I purchased this truck 1.5 years and 15k miles ago) put in a couple ignition switches, last one being a couple years ago.

any advice appreciated

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is the definitive Instructional that covers a broad band of "No Crank No Start " Conditions that may be causing this issue. The VOP (Video Original Poster) is a respected, legacy GMTN Member: @MAY03LT and he really knows his stuff. If you Download and watch this one often enough... then you can make some notes on where to start and what to expect with your SUV.

Visit ANY Thread/Post from @Mooseman (look at the bottom "Cygil" Line for the links) and Download a Digital Shop Manual for your particular Vehicle so you can search out the Start Circuit Diagram that 'Drew used in this Video and refer to it later via your Laptop Screen for Visual Guidance:

...and I like this one as well from South Main Auto on the Same Topic:

Reactions: SpeedUp

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When you tried to crank was there any dimming lights?
When mine did that it was the starter failing. It would just make a slight click and nothing, but lights stayed bright so I knew it wasn't a dead battery.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Sparky - No sir, the lights seemed bright as they normally do, and I didn't hear even a hint of a noise, like something was trying to work.

When I tried it again, it fired right up, no hesitation like the battery/starter were struggling to do their job.

I bought a new ignition switch from amazon, $25 bucks. Should be here today, will install it tonight.

Thank you MRRSM, going to try a new switch, as it seems to have the symptoms of a failing one. If that doesn't help, will definitely be using the tools and resources you mentioned.

thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
got off work yesterday, went to the truck, and no start. Just the lights. Removed the key, tried again, and same thing. After about 3 minutes of jiggling the key, and talking nice to it, it started. Like before it turned over strong, and fired right up. Got home, and the amazon same day package had already arrived. I installed the new switch and first try it cranked right up. I hope i got lucky on this one.

Didnt drive it today

Just curious, I know this question is hard to answer, but in your experience with this truck, is this what I can expect from here on out? Nickle and dime'd to death on a bunch of things?

As long as its things I can get to and find a resource on I am fine fixing it, I am just worried about the big stuff. engine, tranny, 4x4, stuff

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just like anything else, it's a crapshoot. I never had an issue with my '02's ignition switch but had much more other stuff. As these trucks age, they will need more attention (just like people, LOL!). Some never open the engine up but some, like me, have seen the inside too many times. Major engine failures are on the rarer side though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I ran 215k on mine without any major powertrain problems. Had to replace the rear axle once but that isn't that common of an issue.

Never had the ignition switch fail on me either but my starter went bad as I mentioned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online