08 into 06 LS2 swap -- Help before first crank!

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I swapped a 08 engine block into an 06 SS. I installed a LINGENFELTER TRG-002 58X-24X crank module to account for the 58x reluctor.
Other than a PCM relearn what other issues could I run into? I haven't found an easy way to prime the engine with oil. Ideas?

Attachments

• DSC09549.jpg
    DSC09549.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 24

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Idk any way to get the oil moving without the engine turning over.. I know on the old motors with distributors you could manually spin the oil pump but can't do that with newer motors.

EDIT- I got curious myself and hit up Google. Looks like this is how you prime the pump, not sure if it'll prime the whole engine though but I saw other people saying to pump six quarts through the port assuming it would prime the whole engine.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/711366-ls2-prime-oil-pump.html

Check out the PDF in post 8. It'll probably be cheaper to make your own vessel than to buy the special tool for it. Many people have made their own.

For more reading:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+power+supply&biw=360&bih=517&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAGoVChMI3Mf8_JvIxwIVSyceCh0khAEn&dpr=4#q=How+to+prime+oil+on+ls2+motor

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
This is just my idea. You get a mechanical oil pressure gauge put it where the oil pressure sender goes, pull the fuel pump relay then crank the engine until you get pressure. The engine should not spin fast enough to hurt anything.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
On my turbo Z28 that I put a junkyard 6.0 in, I just filled it with oil, pulled the fuel pump fuse and disconnected to the coil packs, then turned it over until I saw pressure on the gauge. It usually doesn't take too long to see. Just don't keep the starter going for more than 10-15 seconds at a time so you don't burn it up. You can also pull the plugs so it turns over quicker. This won't cause any issues either. I have done quite a few cam swaps in Fbody cars and have always used these methods without harm.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online