07 TB torque converter

Jshadtree91

Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Texas
So i just changed my torque converter on my 07 4.2 TB got everything back in and buttoned up but when i went to put it in gear the shift column moves but the truck doesnt. Cable also moves at the linkage underneath.. any ideas? Thanks in advance

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So i just changed my torque converter on my 07 4.2 TB got everything back in and buttoned up but when i went to put it in gear the shift column moves but the truck doesnt. Cable also moves at the linkage underneath.. any ideas? Thanks in advance
Hey brother, when you put the torque converter in did you make sure it was completely seated back? Rotating it while pushing it until it slides back, repeating this once more? This happened to a friend's wife's EXT. The torque converter wasn't seated back all the way after an engine swap and it broke this plastic part on the pump. Luckily we had my old transmission in the garage as a spare, and we pulled the pump off that and made the swap. If the pump is inoperable, the truck won't go anywhere.

I made a post yesterday in another member's thread regarding a 4L60E install. Below is the portion I talked about the torque converter being seated properly:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-When reassembling, make sure the torque converter is fully seated as far back as it can go by turning it until it slides back, then rotating it around again until it slides back once more. If it's not seated properly, it'll break this plastic piece on the pump shaft (can't recall what it was at the moment). You'll know if it broke if it's not even going anywhere in reverse out of the garage.

----Interesting fact:----
Why did GM made this part plastic? As a fail-safe, to save the rest of the transmission pump from an issue that would otherwise cause catastrophic failure to the pump as a whole.

I have a pictures from my bud's wife's EXT pump that we replaced below:

Broken plastic part:

img_20160823_040021-jpg.80772

You can see how the plastic part of the pump here keeps all those small pieces in check and in a certain position (left) vs. the right, where half of it is all cock-eyed:
img_20160823_040016-jpg.80773

Healthy unbroken plastic:
img_20160823_040027-jpg.80774

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Is the cable for sure connected to the linkage? Is the bolt/nut tight on the linkage lever? Other than that unless you dropped the pan and pulled it apart I wouldn't think anything else should be loose.

Maybe damaged the transmission pump during the swap so you have no fluid pressure to engage gears?

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It the cable for sure connected to the linkage? Is the bolt/nut tight on the linkage lever? Other than that unless you dropped the pan and pulled it apart I wouldn't think anything else should be loose.

Maybe damaged the transmission pump during the swap so you have no fluid pressure to engage gears?
If the linkage is all together, it's most likely a pump issue unfortunately :frown:

Jshadtree91

Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Texas
If the linkage is all together, it's most likely a pump issue unfortunately :frown:
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure I got it completely seated. But we did have the whole tranny roll on us going back up with it.. I'm guessing the only way to find out is to bring it back down?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure I got it completely seated. But we did have the whole tranny roll on us going back up with it.. I'm guessing the only way to find out is to bring it back down?
Yeah, best to bring it down and see.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online