07 Tahoe radio issues

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
One of my friends contacted me today and said his radio quit working on his 07 Tahoe. It's got the full on luxury navigation radio with backseat entertainment system, bells and whistles galore.

Little while back he had a line-out converter installed and hooked up some subs and an amp, unsure if that would have anything to do with the issue or not.

I happened to run into him in town when I left work and got to look at it for a minute, my observations without testing or touching anything are as follows:

• Radio seems to be getting power, the lights on the buttons are slowly coming on and going off, not fading on and off though, just a slow and random blink.
  • He complained of no clicking when turn signal was on along with random pops of static through the speakers when turn signal is on, this was confirmed.
My guess is that the radio took a crap or a ground has gotten flakier than a box of cornflakes.

Any ideas? Would be cool if I could save him a few bucks, if not, he's taking it to the dealer and bending over.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Check the harness at the back of the radio. Maybe the loc... I highly dobut it's a ground since it uses a similar splice pack like ours.... I think.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
There are so many things that could cause that it would be hard to say without doing some tests. It really does sound as though he may need a new head unit. But def check the grounds and both the aux power and ign power. It may have a ground just like ours under the center console to clean. My radio was acting stupid like that when I had my carpet out.....I was like "duh, damn ground wire". lol

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
My first thought was mega fuse when he texted me. Then I saw what it was doing in person and my next though was ground pack like ours. Everything else was fine though so idk.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the chimes and turn signal clicks not working, they go through the radio so if it took a dump, no clicks.

One thing you could do if you have a spare radio is to swap it and see if it powers up. Should still work even if it's not the same type. If you don't turn on the ignition, it should still work or at worse, turn on but lock itself for the mismatched VIN.

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
No spare radio. Could probably find one in a junk yard but idk if he would want to go that route. Oughtta just talk him into an aftermarket double din with every option available and put it in for him.

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe a force reset on the module too? Fuse pull for 30 minutes see if it reboots?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I actually just read today on a different forum that if you hold the power button down for like 10 secs you can turn/off or reboot the radio. Don't know if that would fix the issue but worth a shot. I guess these HU never really shut off...which would explain why mine is always making some kind of noise when I open the door lol.

If you go the aftermarket route, I would be interested to know what you went with. I've considered it for mine but for what I want it seems a bit pricey. Plus I need to retain the rear entertainment, and not sure if aftermarket stuff will do that.

Really wish I could find something that I could BT my cell into, keep the RES, and that has nav, all for a reasonable price. I find the nav on these units HORRIBLE at best, lol. I'm sure i'm running older software, but I doubt it was ever updated enough to make it a usable product. And I thought the first gen mygig in my avenger was bad lol.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I actually just read today on a different forum that if you hold the power button down for like 10 secs you can turn/off or reboot the radio. Don't know if that would fix the issue but worth a shot. I guess these HU never really shut off...which would explain why mine is always making some kind of noise when I open the door lol.

If you go the aftermarket route, I would be interested to know what you went with. I've considered it for mine but for what I want it seems a bit pricey. Plus I need to retain the rear entertainment, and not sure if aftermarket stuff will do that.

Really wish I could find something that I could BT my cell into, keep the RES, and that has nav, all for a reasonable price. I find the nav on these units HORRIBLE at best, lol. I'm sure i'm running older software, but I doubt it was ever updated enough to make it a usable product. And I thought the first gen mygig in my avenger was bad lol.

I've installed a few different 2 din headunits with in the past 2 years and I'd go with the sony xav701hd that has the option for RES or pioneer avic nex models which also have the RES. I currently have the sony xav602bt unit and I have the RES hooked up but haven't really used it as of late. I'm still in the middle of figuring out the whole mirrorlink thing that I haven't been able to get to work with my phone for some odd reason. Every other phone I've tried links right in and no issues. They are pretty expensive units but like everything else you get what you pay for.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I went with an Android unit for my 07 Silverado. Looks like it was a factory unit. The canbus decoder box/speaker sounds like crap but I modded the speaker a little bit and it isn't near so bad anymore.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher