07 97X far exceeded any pre expectations, this is excellent tow vehicle

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
97X far exceeded any pre exceptansions, this is excellent tow vehicle

No comparision to the 02 chevy 1500 ½ ton at 7100LBs, same power however 97X is AWD and weight is 4800LBs. 97X takes off excellent the brakes are also excellent.

I rate the the 97X very highly this is the best tow vehicle for my cruiser.I’m impressed w/

Power/brakes and also maneuverability.

see it’s easier for me to control/steer the crusier w/ a smaller 97X exspecialliey for launch/ retrieval also easier to maneuver though smaller parking lots.

The 97X looks drafted small next to the cruiser however the 97X is a serious workhorsre tow vehicle.

Attachments

• tow vehicle1.jpg
    tow vehicle1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 24
  • tow vehicle rinseoff 3.jpg
    tow vehicle rinseoff 3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 25
  • tow vehicle4.jpg
    tow vehicle4.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 20
  • tow vehicle5.jpg
    tow vehicle5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 19

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea they're alright. :rolleyes:

Reactions: xavierny25

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Good stuff. Do you happen to know what gear ratios your rig has? What does the boat weigh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If I were to take a guess the whole combo is probably around 4k. It looks like an aluminum hull to me.

I am curious on the gear ratio as well.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I am going to guess that the RPO is GT5.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Yes I admit previous two tow vehicles don’t excite me as the 97x doe’s however after 160miles into the Trip she scacrded me w/ sudden loss of oil preasure.

?1. I found out she was very low on oil. But even after refilling oil preasure guage dropped

Serval times then builtup any advice

Cruising on expressway at 70MPH at 2600RPM I assume a 3.73 gear will confirm w/ lable code GT5

Towing Cruising on expressway at 65MPH at 3200RPM

Remember I travel though the hillie regein of Florida pan handle so RPM fuluclate.

?2.Look closely at 1st. image is there too much spring sag?

Hull weight from factory 1700LBs bracing/addon aluminum 250LBs engine 390LBs

Gear 200LBs battery/water mics.100Lbs 40 gallon fuel 280LBs trailer 550LBs total 3470LBs conservative weight estimate, she’s proballey less.

On retrival reverse fuel verses fish weights.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That may be a little less than my 19 weighs. Interesting.

The drop in oil pressure may be the dod?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
still waiting for response to ?2.
I'm thinking this time get the correct size air bags still haven't even heard back for the refunded air bags from those fools at etrailer remember they sent air bags for a dodge colt. gotta get on them.

look closely at the side image I think the vessel is tilted backward and could be adjusted where the bow is lower.

the 97x trailer hitch reciever is very high compared to van. then the new brake actuater lenghtened the tow bar.

my rear bunks hang pass the trailer frame a good 10" so I'll compensate relocate forward the bow stop post and the bunks this will add tongue weight thus increasing stability hopefully I will space up aft. bunks to lower bow a tad.

idealley openabley vessel windshield would greatly increase towing wind coefficienty.

edit: one negative for right now is the none ability to twist contort myself while backing up I'm used to twisting and looking out rear window then when getting close to water then use mirr.ors I like to get close to the dock.

yes you're 19 is glass which are usalley heavier than aluminuin mine started out as a 22' w/ the POD extension soon to be hull extention 20" so my cruiser is 23'.8" hull extension is basicalley a dive plateform/engine mout for trolling 8HP outboard.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used to live in Tallahassee and went to PC a lot and also over to Mobile AL....where is this hilly part of the panhandle you reference?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Your ride height looks about right. Can you lift up the trailer tongue by hand? If easy it's too light if hard it's about right. My tongue weight squats the truck to about level which is ideal. 300ish pounds I'd guess. I lose 2 inches in ride height or so.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
You've got to keep up on the oil on the 5.3, it eats it like crazy. The DOD in particular will suck it down when on the freeway, and I also notice increased usage when I'm towing. I'd try a bit of sea foam in the oil to see if it's just a clogged sensor from being low.

I have always been happy with my 9-7x towing. I've done my 19ft bowrider more times then I can count, a utility trailer, popup and a couple of big cargo trailers. Never a problem and always felt safe with the acceleration and braking. Can't beat the towing power in the small package.

Reactions: Sprung Monkey

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I crusie 331US /85S I say inclines start N after niceville.
Alabama is like the 10th lowest State aveage elevation 500’ above sealevel

However when you travel from the start of sealevel northward it is hillie not mountainness.

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_elevation_mean.htm

Alabama doe’s also have Mountains up in the northern section.I’ve been to Tallahassie many times on business very small town.

excellent advice yes I estitmate around 300LB TW. I will test the tongue weight on a level driveway, then will mearsure from fender to ground w/ and w/out load.

doe's the 5.3 need a catch can for oil blowby? I have one on my PVC valve on the car. and a secondary small can.

Attachments

• Destin 4-5-18.png
    Destin 4-5-18.png
    4 MB · Views: 4

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
On the 5.3s, behind the oil pressure switch, there is a small filter screen, like a large thimble. If your oil pressure switch has not failed yet, I suggest getting a new one and replacing it and the screen at the same time. The screen might be clean, but you don't know until it's out. If it is dirty, it can wreak havoc on your oiling of the valve train and damage the engine.

My 5.3 uses more oil than I'd like, probably 2- 2.5L/7500km. A bit more when towing. I find it uses oil a bit faster the older the oil gets (might just be perception). I have been using Mobil 1 since I bought it at 98k km and it now has 160k km and the oil usage hasn't changed appreciably. I do echo the comments to keep an eye on that dipstick especially when towing... In fact if I am going to tow for the better part of the day I will overfill the oil just a little bit (1/8L) for a little extra safety.

I tow a TT that I estimate to be pushing 2250kg loaded. It tows fine so long as I am not on a super steep and long incline in which case it will not maintain speed. This only happened once and it was a twisty/steep back road that I will avoid in future. I only tow in drive, not overdrive. Some say it can do it in overdrive. With the 3.42 gears I find the revs are too low and it hunts on anything but downhill unless I have a tailwind. It goes along nicely though at 23-2400rpm down the highway in drive. Yes, the fuel consumption is terrible, 22L/100 ish but after rebuilding the trans once I will do what I can to not do that expensive punch the head again. I do have a quality trans cooler installed and recommend this. My typical summer time trans temps while towing are 175-185F but can reach 200F if on a very long steep incline (rare).

If I recall what I read in the manual, the max tongue load is about 400kg assuming weight distribution bars on the trailer and with zero cargo and zero passengers in the truck other than the 70kg driver. Adjust downward accordingly as you add weight to the truck.

Setting up your tow hitch etc. can be a bit tricky with the auto airbags. I suggest you take time and trial a couple of ways if the hitch head is adjustable in angle and height. If not, dial in the height the best you can. If you adjust the position of the boat to apply at least 10% of the total trailer load as tongue weight, not more than 15%, and still within the noted tongue weight limits you should be perfect once the trailer tongue is set to tow level. Double check the manual to make sure I have noted the correct numbers.

If you require new air bags I recommend the Arnott bags, I have a write up on here somewhere.

Looks like a nice boat.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Little blazer I mearsure from bottom of fender to ground w/ trailer connected 31”

w/out trailer connected 31 ½”.

When I attempt to manually lift the tongue bar it’s not easy or hard to lift estimate I gave 50LBs of upward force.

Rememeber I removed the air bags sys. For the Monroe springs/shocks.

Towards the front of tongue bar it’s not level I now think I need more drop in the receiver

Current drop is 1 ½”. Woops I have my drop inverted up to conpensate for the low 1500 express van I will flip the hitchs ball down 3”s which mite level the tongue. The 97x ball height is like twice the express is.

I have blurrie image.
do you have trailer brakes?

Last oil change was my first oil change since I didn’t see Mobil1 on the oil cap I thought this 5.3 uses regular none synthetic oil?

What type of oil is required for the 5.3?

Bowtied are you saying the oil pressure switchs are problematic?
do you have trailer brakes w/ the TT?

I took a image of the lable codes however it’s to blurrie to see I’ll get a kodac camera on the job.

Thanks SM

Attachments

• invert ball down.jpg
    invert ball down.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My hitch is a flat style. Its a flat piece of iron welded directly to the box steel. So it's either raised or lowered on the top or bottom of the hitch. I run mine up. If you think you only about 50lbs of tongue weight, slide that boat forward more. You should have more like 200. Swapping the ball drop will help but you want the tounge pretty level once it's on the ball.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The oil pressure sensor on the LS engines are prone to failure. I just replaced mine at 200k km. And if you have DOD, there is a small filter basket inside the hole in the manifold for the sensor. On these trucks, it's fairly easy to replace the sensor and the filter. Just use a small dental pick to pull it out. I used a regular deep socket, no need for a special socket. Although the screen could be cleaned, I'd get a new one just in case it gets damaged by the pick.

If you look up videos on YouTube, they are mostly for the pickup trucks which have very little room. Our trucks have more room there and you don't need to remove as much stuff. Even with my large meat hooks I was able to do it.

When that filter gets clogged, it will make your sensor show low oil pressure and prevent DOD from working.

This link is to a Caprice site that has good pics and description.
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=529

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have the gouges to prove there is no room on the full size trucks. I also didn't remove anything but when that went bad it pegged 80.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
My apologies I missed that you didn’t have air bags anymore.

1/2” of settle and 50lbs of weight seems too little to me. In a case of bumps/railroad tracks /uneven pavement that could lead to tongue bouncing. I really recommend you have it evaluated by a pro. 10% total towed load for minimum tongue weight.

Synthetic oil is not required. Due to the DoD failure concerns I decided to run synthetic and install a new screen and the oil sensor. Yes the oil sensors can be a problem.

Hope that helps.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I did my oil pressure sender a while back. Not a speck of anything on the screen, but i cleaned it anyway since it was out. My guage was pegged one way and my Torque scan gave me the opposite reading so it was a pretty good indicator.

I removed a vacuum line or two and a fuel line and was able to get my manly mits back there, it wasn't bad at all. I think I found a YouTube or writeup somewherethat specifically addressed the 5.3 in the Saablazer platform, but it did take some digging.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My sensor failed about 2 months ago at 112K miles. My screen was squeaky clean too and Like MM said it's actually pretty roomy back there, compared to the full sized trucks, which seems odd because most everywhere else on a 360 V8 is a nightmare.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I hate to admit I don’t like opening/closing hood to much, it’s rusted in front but has weakened the latch area.

With the engine running an warmed up I will seafoam ½ can though the brake vacuum fat tube turn engine off leave SF in for hour remainer of ½ can into the fuel sys.then out for a good flogging looking for black or grey smoke out the tailpipe then drain oil.

I usually seafoam the car every third oil change maybe this has keep my cars oil preasure sensors screen clean at 130K miles never a oil preasure issue.

?1.how do I know when the sensor fails will the gauge be totalley pegged to the left red side even w/ full of oil?

As far as the tongue bar I attempted to lift the tongue bar upward, I actually grabbed the bar w/ my hands and lifted as per littleblazer suggested I estimate 50LBs of upward force not 50LBs of tongue weight if my vessel had 50LBs of TW the engine would be dragging on the street.

I think when I invert the ball lower by 3” this will help level the tongue bar. I believe top of ball should be around 18” off ground.

Off topic:

I removed a safety latch on the fuel line unsure of how it clips on.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 18 inch off the ground with the ball is a good guesstimate with that weight. Mine is 17ish but I keep the tongue a little light because I like to pick up the trailer and move the boat by hand if I have to.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
As far as the tongue bar I attempted to lift the tongue bar upward, I actually grabbed the bar w/ my hands and lifted as per littleblazer suggested I estimate 50LBs of upward force not 50LBs of tongue weight if my vessel had 50LBs of TW the engine would be dragging on the street.

If I understand this, 50lbs of lifting force when hitched lifts the tongue a bit to unload the vehicle suspension some.... did I get that right? If so, I am not certain that tells you a lot. I recommend either a pro check it out, or if you like to take care of it yourself here is a handy guide on determining tongue weight:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When the sensor fails, it's usually pegged or really higher than normal and will throw a code for oil pressure sensor performance.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
When our sensor failed it read zero (full sweep to left side of gauge). It also triggered the CEL.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be either. Mine showed higher than normal for a few days then it pegged right. My son's Silvy just stayed at 0.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
in my hayst I accidently added a tad more than one quart of oil over normal level.

is this OK?
should I be draining to normal level?

bowtied grabbing and lifting tongue bar is basically a quickie test. sure you could be more scientific and weight everything however it not nessasary. edit: I don't trust etrailer these are the people that sent me a airbag for a dodge colt I have since sent it back three weeks ago and haven't heard back from them they sell me wrong parts then I return these parts and they keep my $.

littleblazer I'm a firm believer in have as much tongue weight as possiable it stabilizes the trailer better. if you like the option of moving trailer by hand there are tow dollys for that.

thanks Guys for advice I'll be keeping a close eye on the oil.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
in my hayst I accidently added a tad more than one quart of oil over normal level.

is this OK?
should I be draining to normal level?

bowtied grabbing and lifting tongue bar is basically a quickie test. sure you could be more scientific and weight everything however it not nessasary. edit: I don't trust etrailer these are the people that sent me a airbag for a dodge colt I have since sent it back three weeks ago and haven't heard back from them they sell me wrong parts then I return these parts and they keep my $.

littleblazer I'm a firm believer in have as much tongue weight as possiable it stabilizes the trailer better. if you like the option of moving trailer by hand there are tow dollys for that.

thanks Guys for advice I'll be keeping a close eye on the oil.

Too much oil can be a bad thing... will it be bad for you? I don't know. There are marks on the dipstick for a reason. Consider this: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...ause-engine-damage-in-your-car/article555993/

I agree etrailer doesn't always have their shit together when ordering parts. Generally I've found their tech articles to be inline with industry standards. Here is another source: https://www.tripsavvy.com/measuring-tongue-weight-2912505 But they will all generally say the same thing:9 -10% of trailer load minimum to 14 -15% maximum for tongue weight. If you are very confident you are in this range then fine. If not then respectfully I ask you to consider verifying it - for your safety and that of others on the road with you.

Reactions: Mooseman

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I found that it's best to check the oil level on my 5.3 first thing in the morning. The drain down seems to be painfully slow and dip stick readings seem to be all over the chart if I don't allow a complete cool down.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yeah the the dip stick is kindof diffacult to reach/grab/pullout/reinsert.
yes I check oil in the morning to.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
yeah the the dip stick is kindof diffacult to reach/grab/pullout/reinsert.
yes I check oil in the morning to.

I agree!! It gets really stuck - I pulled hard enough once that when it let go I gashed my finger on the sharp plastic of the coolant bottle mounting tab. I pre-twist it now which helps a little. It's so far down to see to reinsert - and no underhood light?!?! You'd think the Denali trim would have had an underhood light. This is on my mod list. The other thing I'd like to do is get some Teflon coated O-rings but I don't know what size they are.... maybe I should just grease them....

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
underhood light?!?! You'd think the Denali trim would have had an underhood light.

Yeah...The lack of an underhood light and gas strut makes you think that GM engineers where so proud of their work that they were sure you'd never have to go under the hood.:weird:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Then why did they put a gas strut on the 9-7x???

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Yeah...The lack of an underhood light and gas strut makes you think that GM engineers where so proud of their work that they were sure you'd never have to go under the hood.:weird:

Now don't blame the engineers, they know what ought to be there. Blame the management and the bean counters that overrule good engineering practice. :smile:

Then why did they put a gas strut on the 9-7x???

Sooooo..... does that mean I can retrofit some saab struts on my Envoy?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online