06 trailblazer wont start warm

brio3d

Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
bay area
Just purchased this truck. It will only start when cold. Once warm it wont turn over wont do anything. No clicking no anything except lights. To start it i must push the contacts inside the ignition relay together. Then it starts just fine. But will not with the key unless it is cold. I do have a fault (dont remember actual code) of "transmission component slipping" however i doubt it has anything to do with the transmission... Unless for some reason when warm the computer thinks it is in gear?? I dont know. Any ideas are appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When it goes into the no crank condition when hot, you need to do the troubleshooting then to find what is causing it. This video is our go to for this:

No crank, No start

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
What year and what engine? What are your resources, like are you reasonably competent with electrical circuit troubleshooting? Access to test equipment like a multimeter? You have an intermittent electrical issue. Can be tough to pin down. At a minimum you will want to get the service literature from @Mooseman. There will be the schematic wiring diagrams which are imperative to successfully resolve such issues. Unless of course you prefer to just throw money and parts at it!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you are getting a code, it would be useful to know just in case it might be related.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Just purchased this truck. It will only start when cold. Once warm it wont turn over wont do anything. No clicking no anything except lights. To start it i must push the contacts inside the ignition relay together. Then it starts just fine. But will not with the key unless it is cold. I do have a fault (dont remember actual code) of "transmission component slipping" however i doubt it has anything to do with the transmission... Unless for some reason when warm the computer thinks it is in gear?? I dont know. Any ideas are appreciated.

IF that is the case, get a meter out and check the coil pin connections at SAID relay position in the fuse box to see if the coil is being energized ... instead of using your fingers... :smile: go from there depending on what you find. Of course, for "practice", you can do this check when it is working and then do the check again when you get the failure... that way you will know what you are and aren't looking at. It would appear, first off, that your best "guess" would be a marginal ignition relay.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online