'06 Trailblazer EXT Headlight Relay Recall

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Why is it that the NHTSA issues a recall for the headlamp relay, including my year and model (GM Recall No. 14291), yet when I enter the VIN number at NHTSA website, it says there is no such recall? (I indeed have a 2006 trailblazer EXT). The headlights have been cutting out intermittently for over a year. We have swapped it out back and forth with the fan relay several times. My wife (who drives the car) has argued with GM on the phone, but they deny any responsibility and berated her for not taking it to the dealer years ago.
It is my understanding that a replacement part now exists. Does anyone know the proper procedure for getting GM to respond? All we want is to be able to drive the vehicle after dark without worrying that the headlights will fail.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have never received a recall for my 2006. Not sure if the recall has been sent out or if it covers all from those years or just a portion like many recalls.

If you need it done....go to a dealer. Will be your best bet for quick action.

---Edit-- Pretty well tells you what to do here. If you cant get GM, try NHTSA as stated
http://gm.oemdtc.com/6098/14291-low...-2005-2009-buick-chevrolet-gmc-pontiac-saab/4

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I'd try a different dealer. My dealer informed me when I was in for something else that the recall was announced. Took *months* for the part to come in but it was otherwise painless. Or you just find the p/n somewhere and DIY.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
I've had my TB just over 2 years and replaced the relay twice. They don't have me on the affected list... I'll give it some time. Really annoying to be involved but not acknowledged.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I haven't received one for my 2006 either.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Is the relay different in later years? My 02 never had an issue.

That said, I was a lucky guy and my 02 never had problems with the ignition switch either. Although I think I'd have preferred to have the ignition switch need replaced than the fuel pump harness corrode and short out in the middle of December :crazy:

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Relay is a common failure for all years, we all just buy one and replace it. Much easier than the dealer BS. Needs to be ACDelco, not very cheap but still way better than beating a dead horse for months at the dealer.

Edit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272114899703

That is the old part number. The revised one that dealers are replacing with is over 100 bucks now. Last I checked, Ebay had 2 of the new ones for 50 bucks, otherwise they were 100-200

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I may as well check in with the dealer myself. Never had an issue, but the window switch did not either and I am glad to have less risk of fire

stvrob

Original poster
May 28, 2014
But my question is, how do I get GM to honor this recall? I have received no recall notice for my vehicle. Yet my vehicle specifically is listed in the recall, and I definitely have the faulty module. I call GM and they deny the recall pertains to my vehicle based on the VIN No. I called NHTSA and they had no way to help me at all. Has ANYONE actually received a recall notice for this defect? Don't they have to provide NHTSA some kind of assurance that they are actually fixing vehicles with the defect?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
One guy on the FB page said he had it replaced under the recall, but I have never heard of anyone else. having it done under recall.

Did you try your local dealership or a couple of them?

Your VIN would be the actual basis and yours may be excluded if GM says it is. Many had window switch issues and were not part of the recalled VIN numbers.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It sometimes happens that recalls are only for certain VIN's, which could happen if they changed supplier or part in the middle of a production year or they realized they had a problem and corrected it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online