NEED HELP 06 GMC Envoy – NAV Radio – Tech-II – Theftlock reprogramming of a used radio?

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
My 06 Envoy Denali factory Non-Lux NAV radio is broken. I even tried to have it repaired – it’s not repairable. I can obviously buy a used one. I have a Tech-II scan tool. Does this mean I can program the new radio with the VIN of my car so Theftlock will allow the radio to play? Or do I need some other device to reprogram the used radio, i.e., I still have to take the car to the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes you can. Not the same radio but the same procedure.

You will need to use Tis2000 through your Tech 2.

Reactions: mrrsm

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
OK, great. Sounds like a bit of work. I do have an old Windows XP laptop. I can see that TIS2000 is old and needs an old computer with a serial port ... so I do have that. It sure looks complicated but I can give it a shot.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not too bad once you get Tis2000 working. You operate on the laptop and just use the Tech 2 as a passthrough. Basically you'll be programming it as if it's a new radio.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In parallel to @Mooseman 's Posted Video showing @MAY03LT 's Use of the Tech2 ...You can view the Actual Keystrokes Drew employs on his Tech 2 Clone at this Link below (...adjusted of course for the OP's Specific Radio Model):

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Huh, not as bad as I thought. I thought it was security related therefore needed Tis2000 to unlock it. I use aftermarket radios so what do I know?

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Got the new/used unit in the mail today. Gotta go to my kids graduation this weekend but after that I will pop it in there and see if we can clear the old VIN and get it working ...

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
OK, I put the radio in. Theftlock popped up. Plugged in the Tech-II and cleared the VIN from the replacement radio as outlined in the link you folks provided ...

How to use Tech2 scan tool to unlock an auto radio | OBDII365.com Official Blog

Yep, it works so just want to say thanks. Took about 2 minutes. All you need to do is clear the old VIN and it tells you to cycle the ignition - I guess it writes the current VIN into the radio when it powers back up. Now I just need a NAV disc to make sure the NAV function works.

I think all that Tis200 stuff is only needed for certain cases. I mean it's there for a reason. Say you want to change from one factory radio to another - then I'm guessing you may need to reprogram some things to enable certain functions that the new radio has. I was only swapping in an identical model radio so I just needed to clear the VIN. In any event it's all good.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good job. However good luck finding a disk. They are as hard to find as unicorn farts.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Yeah, I did have one for sale but, it sold. To Dan-G be careful of those original "looking" re-pops that they sell on Ebay, from what I've read, most times they don't work .

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I've seen one of those FUBAR a Nav radio, Chinese writing on the screen on boot up and stuck there.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know I have the RIP from my nav disc on my Server. If you have the proper disc, and writer, you could always burn a copy.

And the discs are also still available from GM, for 200 bucks OUCH!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDIT:

The File originally mentioned here is Proprietary, Intellectual Property... So I've modified this Thread to clarify that fact. Any references, images or links have been deleted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watchesandputters

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Make sure the writable disc is Dual Layer.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
See Post #14...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online