'06 4.2 swap into an '05

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I have a 2005 trailblazer ext 4.2 with a spun bearing. I have found a 2006 tb with a 4.2 that was front end totaled. I will be purchasing the entire truck. Will the 06 4.2 swap into the 05? What kind of extra work or concerns will I face?

This will not be my first motor swap on the platform, but my experience so far has all been with 02 and 03s.

Some quick advice would be great, hoping to pick up the parts truck tomorrow if it is a doable away.

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do believe that crank sensor and PCM changed so it's gonna be an uphill battle with that swap. Internally, the reluctor changed too as well as the temp sensor location. Even if you swap the wiring to the 06, the communication with the BCM will likely be a problem. Swap BCM? I don't think so because of changes to ABS, traction control, Stabilitrak.

06 was a change year so it won't be an easy swap by any means.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Damn, back to searching for a donor then. I was hoping for better news than that. Well if anyone needs an 06 parts truck I know where there is one in Indy for $500.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's it? I thought the reluctor had changed in '06? I knew about the ECT sensor relocation but I thought there were more changes that were more profound than that.

My bad. Jeremy @limequat is the authority on the electronics on these engines.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online