NEED HELP 05TrailBlazer Battery Died- Now shuts off suddenlyl

rainbowlight

Original poster
Jan 18, 2017
oregon
The battery in my 05 Trailblazer went dead due to stereo being left on. After being charged, the car drove fine until suddenly shutting off at a stopsign. It shut off again as I was slowing down to turn. The check gauges light comes on before it dies. The RPMs go from 1000 to 500 a few times, then to zero and it shuts off. The heater being on makes a difference. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or why the battery dying would cause this? .

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Computer got reset and you need to clean the throttle body to match it's tune. It learns over time that the throttle body is getting dirty but once it get reset it thinks it is clean and changes it's tune. Very common issue, Google it or search for it here for directions if you need them.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
tiphat.gif
tiphat.gif
Welcome
tiphat.gif

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com...eres-the-story/

Our trucks don't have PCV valves and the throttle bodies get really gunked up. Some members remove and clean them yearly. The t-body has to be removed so the back can be cleaned.
Also, our trucks don't have a V6. It's a 4.2 I6.

rainbowlight

Original poster
Jan 18, 2017
oregon
Thank you, I'll be removing the throttle body and cleaning it as soon as I get some throttle body cleaner. I just got the truck 2 months ago and I've been loving it so far. Really don't know much about them though as you can tell! I do have one other issue...In all wheel drive, the truck starts jolting? It's really noticeable...so I've been keeping it in 2hi. I used 4hi in the snow the other day and didn't notice any jolting. So the problem seems to be only in AWD.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's normal. We don't usually leave it in AWD as it just spins the differential and dive shaft for nothing. The system will then engage the front wheels only when it senses wheel slippage in the rear. I call it the "slip/bang" system. Don't leave it in 4hi on dry or wet asphalt as it will bind. Snow is OK.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pretty common, highly recommended not to use A4WD. Will burn up the clutches in the transfer case if conditions aren't perfect. By the way, you need to religiously change the transfer case fluid every 50k, they're pretty picky. Takes GM autotrac II fluid which can be found online, at dealer, and most parts stores stock it as well.

rainbowlight

Original poster
Jan 18, 2017
oregon
What weather or road condition would I use a4wd then? I tried using it on wet pavement and the highway. I thought it might improve traction. But I'll be keeping it in 2hi! We changed the transfer case fluid in December because we thought it might fix the jolting in a4wd, lol. I take good care of my vehicles, or try to at least so if you all have any other tips for a new TB owner I would be happy to hear

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I do have one other issue...In all wheel drive, the truck starts jolting? It's really noticeable...so I've been keeping it in 2hi. I used 4hi in the snow the other day and didn't notice any jolting. So the problem seems to be only in AWD.

I had that same problem with my 2003 Envoy at about 30K miles. I changed the transfer case fluid and had no more problems.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What weather or road condition would I use a4wd then?

You don't. Period. Think of it as a half-assed AWD system. When you need the extra traction, use 4hi. When you don't, 2hi. If you leave it in AWD, it will also use more gas spinning the diff and front shaft.

rainbowlight

Original poster
Jan 18, 2017
oregon
Got it, thank you. Wish they would have told me that when I bought it. Got the throttle body cleaner today, will be cleaning it tomorrow if all goes well. There is one more problem that's been going on since I got the truck. The gas gauge and oil gauge both don't work! The needle on the gas gauge moves when starting up - usually pointing straight down or to the right. Then stays that way. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Might wanna reset the computer again if you've been driving it all this time with the issue. It will relearn that it's dirty but takes a while. Will act the same way if you clean it and the computer thinks it is dirty.

Sounds like stepper motors on the gauges have went bad. Also very common. You can buy the motors on eBay for like $30 for the full set of 6 and replace them yourself if you have experience with soldering circuit boards. That or you can send the gauge cluster to a repair shop (search online) and they can fix it for a charge.

Video is on a truck cluster but it's the same design and basic idea. Best video I found a couple years ago when I replaced mine.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have to disagree with my GMT brethren here. I use the A4WD almost exclusively. I leave the truck in 2wd until conditions indicate the A4WD might be needed. Unless I just blatantly need 4wd. I don't have any of the slip/bang experiences that others talk about, and my system works perfectly. I have serviced it every 50k as suggested as well. I will admit my truck does spend about 10 months year in 2wd thou, if not more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online