05 Transmission Fluid Dipstick

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
So I went to check the transmission fluid in my 05 TB today and the top (movable hinged) part of the handle broke right off. It wouldn’t be a big deal as I know these break a lot and I’m on my 2nd one as the dipstick itself rusted away from the handle in the first one, but this time the handle itself broke and the rest of it is stuck in the tube. I’m not really sure if it’s that the seals in there seized to the tube or, more likely, when the top part of the handle broke off the part of the dipstick at the inside top of the tube that spreads out to keep it sealed didn’t release. Has this happened to anyone here? I tried twisting the remaining part of the plastic portion of the dipstick but it’s tight and I don’t want to twist the tube itself down lower and end up with another problem. Does anyone know how the release mechanism on this dipstick works? Can I try to push down on the hole in the remaining part of the cap to release it? It would seem that is how it works but without one in hand I’m not sure. Also, while looking online for a replacement of the GM part 15188981 I came across a Dorman 917-301. Has anyone used this dipstick? It has some questionable reviews online as far as reliability goes. The other thing is that on RockAuto they list this Dorman part as only for checking the fluid and is not to be used as a full time replacement part. I’ve never heard of this. So you plug the tube somehow abs only use this dipstick to check the fluid level? I only saw this on the RA website and not any others that sell the Dorman part. Any and all replies, suggestions and comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see why any dipstick and tube can't be used as they are normally used. Check at the dealer to see how much they are there. You might be surprised as some parts are reasonably priced.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So I just went out and inspected mine, an 02 model.

It appears the topmost part ie: the handle that pivots, is a cam that when moved from the open position to the closed, sealed position pulls up on the metal dipstick itself, squeezing a plug of sorts between the 'cap' part which is what the handle presses against and another part further down below the 'plug' part, this lowest part is attached to the dipstick such that it cannot slide down the stick.

A picture may be worth something here...

IMG_20200429_201504.jpg

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for both replies so far. The dealer price is around $40 and the Dorman is $12. The picture seems to suggest that I need to try to push down on the remaining piece that I can see in what’s left of the cap and hopefully it releases that way, although it appears to have broken off flush. I’ll have to yshr a better look at it tomorrow although it’s supposed to rain for the next 3 days. Hopefully someone here has had this issue and can reply back with a definitive answer. Thanks again for the help it is much appreciated.

Reactions: Pygot

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Soooo......

Referencing the picture in this post, what part are you thinking of pushing down?

IMG_20200429_201504.jpg

Did the entire part 'A' break apart and come off or is a part of that still there? If there is still the lower portion of part 'A' there you must flip it into the released position to allow the plug to decompress before it can be removed.

Is 'B' still there? Is part 'E', the stick itself still visible? Part 'B' is too large to go into the tube so maybe that came off when the handle 'A' broke off? Part 'C' is the most likely piece to get stuck in there. Part 'C' gets compressed and expanded when part 'A' is rotated to the locked closed position. Pushing down on part 'C' risks moving the whole business down too far in the tube where it may be out of reach.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks TJBaker57. What happened is part A broke off. I have to take a better look at it but I think it broke off pretty much flush with part B. What I’m thinking is that part D still has part C pulled up into part B which is what’s keeping it stuck. I can’t even twist part B at all. It’s either that or part C has fused itself into the tube itself. I’m hoping to be able to possibly push down some on what’s left of part E, which was originally attached to part A I believe, although I may need to use a small flathead screwdriver and try to push E itself down through B in hopes of getting it to release. I don’t want to end up breaking anything off and getting it down into the transmission or ruining the tube itself trying to get this apart. Stuff like this only happens to me. Thanks again for the help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Part A actually attaches to part E (the dipstick itself). Mine broke not long ago at the hole through the dipstick but was able to grab the end of the dipstick and pull the whole thing out. Maybe your dipstick just retracted into part C. I wouldn't push on it. Try this. Use a high power shop vac on the tube sealing it as best as possible to try and suck that piece out. If you're lucky, the dipstick will come out with it. If not, you'll probably have the end of the dipstick showing and able to grab with long nose pliers or a magnet.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Mooseman yes part A attaches to part E. Part A broke off leaving all other parts in place. I can’t get part B to move. That’s the issue. I can’t even rotate it at all which is what’s making me think that either part C has become seized to the inside of the tube or that part D is still pulling up part C onto the underside of part B and locking it against the inside of the tube which is why I was going to try releasing it by pushing down somehow on part E. Can someone please do me a favor? I need somebody to try pulling up or rotating the whole dipstick assembly inside the tube with the dipstick on the locked position. If the dipstick rotates and/or can be removed when locked then that tells me that the gasket has probably seized against the inside of the tube. If the dipstick can’t be removed or rotated when locked then it tells me that most likely it’s still locked in place through parts D and C onto B and I need to figure out how to release it. Thanks again fo much for all the help with this foolish thing. Like I said it would only happen to me.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would bet the plastic rivet is making it so that part B cant decompress the cam lock (part A). Your going to have to go to any remaining bits of part A, and destroy them and get them out of there. Than part b should decompress and allow for removal. At least thats my opinion.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
TollKeeper will your whole dipstick rotate inside the tube when locked or can you remove it when locked? The answers to these questions will give me a much better idea as to what I need to do to repair mine. Thanks you the help.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You dont want to rotate them in the dipstick tube as it can cause them to break. Because the dipstick is flat, the tube is designed to only allow it to go in on the flats in those tube bends, and to stop in one of 2 positions, both of which are on the flats. So I cant really answer your question without risk to my own.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Understood TollKeeper. I’m not asking to try and rotate half way or even a quarter of the way around, just trying to find out if there is any rotational movement at all with the dipstick locked as I have zero. What about just pulling it straight up with it locked? Does it come out completely or move up in the tube at all? Thanks again for the replies and assistance.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
My trailblazer is not close by right now but my Yukon has the same arrangements. With the handle in the closed position the handle and metal dipstick will rotate about 10 degrees. Part B does not move. When unlocked I can twist the whole thing maybe 30 degrees, feeling the resistance Tollkeeper mentions due to the flat dipstick. Also can turn Part B easily when unlocked about 30 degrees or so.

If there is enough of the dipstick Part E showing I would be tempted to run some strong picture hanging wire through the hole where Part A attached to prevent loosing it down the insides of the remaining parts. After doing so I would attempt to slowly twist Part B back & forth a very little at a time. Maybe take some dextron on a rag and wet the whole top of this thing. If part B can get loose that would maybe allow getting some more lubricant (dextron) in there.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Also had a look up from the bottom. Part D is prevented from going down by another pin below it through part E. Parts C and D appear to free float on Part E.

IMG_20200430_141527.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Up And Down - Can you take a pic of what you are working with, one from directly above the dipstick, and one from the side, hopefully where the rivet on part A is shown?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Up And Down , why not post a pic of what you're faced with? Might give us a clearer picture (pun intended).

Edit: Ha, got the same idea at the same time!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys and TJBaker57 thank you so much for the video but what I actually need to know is if part B can move while locked and if part B can be pulled out while locked. Part A is what broke off on mine. I am trying to figure out if what is preventing me from removing the dipstick is that the dipstick is still locked in place or if the gasket has seized to the inside of the tube. There is zero rotational or vertical movement in part B on my truck. I’ll attach a pic here and thanks again so much for the help.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would grab that red piece with a pair of channel locks and pull. What i believe had happened is the rivet on part A is holding everything together and tight. So you have to overcome that resistance until it all pops out.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
That’s possibly what’s happening TollKeeper. I cannot rotate the round red piece at all or pull it up at all. That’s why I’m asking for someone to see of theirs rotates at all or has any up and down play at all with it locked. If there is play then mine isn’t locked it’s seized. If there’s no play then it’s probably locked in place.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can turn it maybe 10* if i force it. I took a video, but it won't let me upload it. How is mp4 not supported

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
That’s why I’m asking for someone to see of theirs rotates at all or has any up and down play at all with it locked

I answered that in post 13 above. From your picture I am guessing you have rust inside as well as outside and the seal, Part C, and the top, Part B, are siezed in the tube.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
... And since it's just rubber, if it tears a bit ripping it out, no big deal

Reactions: TJBaker57

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
TJBaker I just re-read post 13 and see that you did give that info. Thanks very much. Over the weekend when it stops raining I am going to try to push down on the metal dipstick itself with a flat blade screwdriver where it’s broken off flush in hopes that it will release the locking mechanism inside the tube. My fears in this whole thing are that the metal part of the dipstick drops too far to be retrieved from the top of the tube, the locking pieces break and fall down into the transmission pan and/or I break the tube either up top or where it goes into the tranny. Thanks once again for the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online