'05 TB 4.2L Coolant leak on R/H side behind wheel well

xz5cgb

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I've been seeing coolant on the garage floor the last few days and have been unable to identify the leak location. The coolant tank is bone dry, and I was down nearly a gallon in the radiator, so I know it is not a tank leak. There seem to be several lines/hoses down there, one going into the rear of the block and the other into the fire wall, but I am unable to determine where the leak is coming from. I do not smell coolant in the pass compartment, and the carpet is dry. Any guesses?? Any know common failures down there? What kills me is that to be down nearly 2 gallons, you would think you would need goggles to keep from getting coolant sprayed in your eyes, but no smoking gun. I do see that the frame is wet, and that some of the hoses are wet, but no Ah-Ha yet. I'm going to try a pressure test tomorrow unless one of you guys give me a better idea.

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have an EXT so therefore you have the rear heating system as well, which adds more locations for a leak. There is a heater hose that goes just on top of the frame behind the right wheel. There is a connector there too that could be leaking.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
One thought to aid in leak-checking is to get a leak dye kit. Should be available at most/all auto parts stores, find some that's okay with Dexcool and apply it according to the instructions. Using a light that should be available right nearby the dye(s), you can more easily identify the source.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check the heater hose lines and fittings. Mine corroded one of the heater hose fittings somewhere on the backside of the block and leaked from that area. Can't tell you too much about it since it was December and freezing so I had a shop locate it and fix it for me.

xz5cgb

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Sorry for the delay - lost the password...
Yes - success has been experienced. The leak was from the heater valve under and behind the coolant overflow tank. I slow drip was coming off the bottom of the valve, onto the body structure, then the lower hoses, frame, then my garage floor. The part was only $30 or so - cheap fix. I did need to remove the washer fluid tank, the air filter box & flex pipe, and finally the coolant tank to get to it. Also, the A/C condensation tank needed to be tied back out of the way. It was an easy repair once I found it.

Consider this a solved problem. Thanks for the help from all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good you found it. Never thought of that valve, which is unique to the extended EXT/XL bodies.

hellrazer

May 29, 2013
I had the same issue with mine it left me sit in new jersey it split the bottom of valve wide open. Had to bypass it to bring it home no one could find me the part.

Alec Venable

Oct 23, 2016
Earth
It could be the heater control valve. Mine snapped clean in half and sprayed coolant everywhere some time ago. The valve is on the passenger side, right up next to the firewall behind, and sort of under, the coolant reservoir.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 12

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online