NEED HELP 05 into 03 drivetrain swap

Daniel597

Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
Ohio
Hey guys. New member here. So I’m doing an entire drivetrain swap from an 05 EXT LT to an 03 EXT LS. I’ve already pulled the drivetrain from the 05. And as I’m pulling the set out of the 03 I’m noticing some key differences like the fuel system having an extra port on the fuel rail of 03. Is this as easy as just swapping the fuel rail from the 03 to the 05 when installing the 05? Also the valve cover is plastic on the 03 but metal on the 05. Which also means the coils are different but share the same plug. Should I swap over the valve cover also? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You will have to swap the fuel injector rail to keep the one from your 03. Double check that the ignition coil connectors are the same. You might have to swap those out too. I do believe the newer metal valve cover is better with less leaks into the plug wells. Use the 03's SAIS block off in place of the solenoid valve on the 05 engine, which is located just above the exhaust manifold.

Everything else is the same.

Daniel597

Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
Ohio
Okay. So I actually just found out the engine is out of an 06. Does the same rule of thumb still apply?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes. The coils are definitely different and the temp sensor was relocated for 06. All you need to do for that is extend the wiring for it to the back of the head where it will now be located.

4.2L interchangeability by years

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.