05 envoy 4.2 annoying little issues.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Got in my envoy that hasn't been started in probably a week or so. Tried to start it and it just clicked like battery was dead. Second attempt it started fine, no slow crank or anything. Drove it to the store and noticed that the oil pressure was reading 80. Was thinking sending unit, but if I'm not mistaken, the gauge would return to zero when off correct? When key off or on and engine off, it sits at 40. When it's running, the gauge fluctuates with rpms as it did before, just reading 40 over. Its almost like it lost position and found "home" on the 40 mark. All the other gauges seem to be fine, and I've never had an issue with this before. Is there a way to reset it back to it's rightful place? Still enjoying the thing but all these small issues are starting to eat at me. Bought it for $2400, put a new fuel pump in due to gas gauge not working(new pump fixed it). Have to change the thermostat as it seems to be stuck open(not looking forward to that!). The vent solenoid on the tank seems to be bad as it's a total pita to put gas in(have it,just haven't got around to changing it out, hence not driving it much). And if anyone has any insight on a code I have(not sure of the exact code, but it's "exhaust camshaft timing over advanced") I'd appreciate it.KIMG0196.JPG

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah that's the stepper motor in the gauge cluster. Very common, cheap fix if you are brave enough to solder on a circuit board.

Also, pull the "IPC" fuse in the under good fuse box and reinstall it. This makes the steppers do a hard 'negative' sweep back to their lowest available setting. Sometimes that'll give you some more life out of the stepper motor by resetting it. Other times it'll reset it till the next ignition cycle and it won't return to zero still like you describe.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Re: camshaft timing over advanced...... Close to due for oil change?? I hear these cam phasers are finicky about their oil cleanliness. Also I understand there is some sort of screen at or in the vvt solenoid assembly that can get somewhat clogged. Never had one out myself yet.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Shouldn't be. I changed it beginning of March right after I bought it and haven't put maybe 1k on it. I'll probably go ahead and do it anyways. I have changed one of those solenoids on my old tb(really easy) so I may go ahead and change that too. The issue I had before actually mentioned that solenoid in the code though so idk.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sweet thanks. How long do I need to keep the fuse out?

The stepper motors do this whenever they lose power. If you take the cluster out, and disconnect the harness, it serves the same purpose. As soon as you plug it back in, you'll hear them all reset. So unplugging and putting the fuse back in right away will do it.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
My thoughts also, eventually your other steppers will go (or at least mine have been one by one) so if you do end up changing any of them, probably best to change them all while you're in there. Or just run torque app on your phone for your gauges like I do :2thumbsup:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
So as far as the gauge goes, it seems to have fixed itself. Now the issue I have is I change the vent valve for the tank and it didn't fix my issue of not being able to fill the tank without it constantly clicking off. I can blow onto both valves(old and new) fairly freely. The old one did have a bit of dust in it but nothing major. All this started not long after changing the fuel pump and replacing the rubber piece of the filler neck due to it cracking when I was dropping the tank and leaking. Any suggestions on what I should be looking into? Possible I didn't get one of the hoses put back on completely? Also should be noted that I even unhooked the line that goes into the vent valve and same issue. I'm tired of it taking 20 minutes to put $10 worth of gas in. Tia

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There could be a physical block in one of the vent lines.

Vent in backwards to? I dont know if this can happen, thats why I ask.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
There is only one hose that connects to it so I don't believe I can have that backwards. When I had the tank dropped iirc, all the lines were different sizes so I don't think I can have those hooked up backwards. I did find that the tiny vent hose that goes from the top of the filler neck to a connection near the tank wasn't on completely so I put that on and clip back in and pulled to verify it was on there correctly and seems to be but still same issue. I am going to go back under it and verify that all of them are on tightly as that one looked like it was on bit a slight pull and it popped off and I'm hoping I find one that isn't. Failing that I will replace the charcoal canister as well as seen on another post that blowing air through the lines may help. Other than that I'm at a loss. It was working for a while after I changed fuel pump but quit maybe a couple weeks after. Hoping for a simple fix as I'm tired of messing with it. I'm thinking of pulling my gauge cluster out, replacing steppers on the speedoand fuel level, changing out the lights for colored LEDs(side not, does anyone know the type I need? Or if I can find some that change colors with a controller? I want to do full interior lighting with rgbw and wouldn't mind the dash changing to match.) As for the other guages I am going to see what connections need to be made in order to have the factory speedo and indicators, then see if I can drill through the board to mount real gauges( actual oil pressure, tach, coolant temp, etc. They look like they could be a standard sized aftermarket so I will get a junk cluster to mess with.) I'm going to see if I can jumper any connections that come undone with the drilling. Hours have been cut at work but thankfully I am still working. I have had a bit of extra time though and want to do some stuff before I start rebuilding a house that was gifted to me.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
So I made a bit of headway in the last bit. On a whim I pulled the filler neck from the rubber coupler and found a large piece of rubber was blocking it. Seems that when I reinstalled it, it may have gotten hooked on the metal neck, and sliced it up. I got as much pulled off(that stuff is tough!) And went and put a gallon in. It's a definite improvement but still not great. Maybe another piece stuck in there or I may have done the same thing again. Either way the parts store is closed so I'm going tomorrow to get yet another and try not to screw this one up lol.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online