04 trailblazer lt 4.2 2wd PLEASE HELP P0016

04tblt

Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
Alabama
I recently acquired two more trailblazers and one running and driving just been sat up for I would say 2015 from last inspection in Mississippi. It has a gutted cat already probably from the code but it misfired on the way home and when I got home I hooked my scanner up it was random multiple misfire I replaced the plugs it hasn’t done it since but it still has p0016 code and engine idles a little rough. Any advice it greatly appreciated!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried a search? These threads have a lot of info:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Where and how was this sludge found?

You could try a flush however it carries its own risk of dislodging said sludge and clogging oil passages to vital parts like bearings. I would then do an oil change with a cheap oil and filter, run it a while (not driving), drain and refill again with the good stuff. This would hopefully mitigate the possibility of causing more damage. I would also replace one quart of oil with DexVI transmission fluid for a long term cleaning.

Then, replace the CPAS. This will also show how much sludge has clogged it. If these things still don't fix the code, I would look into replacing the camshaft phaser gear if the oil is staying relatively clear. If not, I would replace the oil again.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
With that much sludge, it was either a very short drive car, or a bad thermostat-hence the gutted cat.
Too bad it can't be internally steam cleaned in the car, cause that's what will do the trick.

04tblt

Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
Alabama
Ahh kinda a backyard mechanic do my own work kinda guy. So far 2 500 mile oil changes since I’ve had it and both times it’s been black . I’ve ran some seafoam and transmission fluid the first time about a quart of them mixed so half and half and 6 quarts synthetic 5w30. Right now it has about 300-400ish miles on this change and when I first got the truck it has about 2mpg all around now I say maybe 6mpg it’s slowly improving and getting better power but the sludge is still pretty thick from what I can see in the fill cap.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher