04 Trailblazer Bose no sound

EPRK

Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
My 04 Trailblazer EXT LT, Bose XM/AM/FM/6CD has lost its sound. The head seems to be working - displays read normal, including info from XM stations & FM stations, CDs seem to be playing and advancing normally. This was an intermittent problem initially, occasionally would take a few seconds before the sound came on. Then took longer and longer - but not always. The past week or 2, I am getting no audio at all. Except that if things are quiet otherwise, there is a 'pop' noise at all speakers about once every second. I stopped by the dealership - he hooked up his code reader and could fine nothing wrong. He just said the amp probably needs to be replaced. Any ideas?

Where is the amplifier??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The amp on an EXT is in the way back, driver's side, behind the cargo compartment/fender side cover. On the short wheelbase it's on the passenger's side, also in the way back. Lots of folks upgrade units so a Bose amp shouldn't be that difficult to locate.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
When the radio is not playing, do you still have the dings, chimes, onstar (if equipped)? They run through the amp also (only drivers side dash speaker I think).
Did you check the amps fuse for good contact/no corrosion?

EPRK

Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Black LT said:
When the radio is not playing, do you still have the dings, chimes, onstar (if equipped)? They run through the amp also (only drivers side dash speaker I think).
Did you check the amps fuse for good contact/no corrosion?

I hadn't really noticed, but now that you ask, I don't think I've heard any of the normal warning chimes recently either.

Which fuse(s) should I check?

EPRK

Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
OK: After checking the fuses - all good - I performed major surgery to get to the amp, which was located in the driver side rear panel. (I can just hear the squeals of delight from the twit engineer who designed this thing - making it ridiculously difficult to get to, just because he could.) Anyway, the power is good to the amp. I found (in another forum site) the wiring diagram for the connectors. The audio signals (4 feeds) are getting to the connector. So I guess the amp has died.

It is a Bose 15103800. Anybody got one on a shelf?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
EPRK said:
OK: After checking the fuses - all good - I performed major surgery to get to the amp, which was located in the driver side rear panel. (I can just hear the squeals of delight from the twit engineer who designed this thing - making it ridiculously difficult to get to, just because he could.) Anyway, the power is good to the amp. I found (in another forum site) the wiring diagram for the connectors. The audio signals (4 feeds) are getting to the connector. So I guess the amp has died.

It is a Bose 15103800. Anybody got one on a shelf?

Make sure your speakers are good before you go throwing in a new amp... It has been the case in the past where they all take a chit on people all at once...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.