04 Trailblazer 2x4 noise while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

gica

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Cali
This thing is pissing me off, I already changed the right front hub and it's still doing the same thing. It's basically doing it worse when on the freeway and there's a curve going left or if I drive straight at 25 mph and lightly pull the steering wheel toward the left and then straighten it again right away. Almost sounds like a flat tire sound, not so much grinding, dull noise. So if it's not the front right bearing, can it be the rear? Could also be the differential bearing/s right? I hope there isn't anything rubbing when on left movements, but unlikely. So I need some opinions here, thanks in advance for any help.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If it sounds like driving on a mud tire then it's likely the hub and bearing. When one goes, the other isn't far behind.

I get the fact you would think the bearing that's loaded up would make more noise. However you have to consider it can also make noise when forcing the bearing apart in a pulling action.

I hate to recommend blindly changing components, but if both hub and bearings had the same mileage when the noise started, with no severe curb or pothole hits, then I would change both.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I'll make a suggestion. Ask someone with decent ears to go to an parking lot and stand outside as you drive by to listen to where they seem to hear the noise originating from. For me in the drivers seat I have been wrong before on what corner the noise is starting from. Several years ago I had a noise I thought coming from the right front and the mrs. informed me it was from the rear as she stood in the parking lot for me. And the noise typically came when I turned into my sister in laws drive way and turned out to be my rear brakes! :Banghead:

Reactions: Beacon and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I once changed a hub thinking it was one side and it turned out to be the other.

If it doesn't sound like a hub, a bad tire could also make noise. Try swapping them front to back. I had that on CCC tires that came with the Saab but they looked like new. Drove me insane. New tires, noise gone.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It is interesting in that multiple members of this forum over the years have reported they changed the hub on the side they thought, and it turned out to be the other side.

Been there done that, that's why I change them in pairs now. The left turn right side, right turn left side is close but not 1000% accurate.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Some work but you will find it helps to remove the brake caliper so that the wheel is able to spin "clean". Then listen / feel while you hand spin the remaining wheel / disc. Do the same with the recent change side for a comparison. Go from the result. OR just change the other side.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I couldn't even tell which side it was coming from so I did both. As previously said, if one goes, the other isn't too far behind.

Reactions: Redbeard

gica

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Cali
I do have the other hub also as I did by the pair will change in a bit as it is pretty easy to do. I did switch the tires around too. I changed the right side yesterday afternoon after coming back from a trip and it got too dark to do the other side. I did switch the tires in the dark though. I will report after the second one.
I also read all the posts on the issue and some said it was the balance inner weights touching, I looked at the wheels on the inside and noticed areas of exposed metal as if it randomly touching., that was the wheel I switched. The newer one didn't have it after driving ones. Be back

gica

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Cali
Ok changed the left side and right away as I was spinning the hub off the car you could clearly feel and hear the grinding so I want to second all that mentioned that there is no rule as to which one goes bad regardless of where the noise happens on right or left movements. And if you compare the movement off the car with a new one or the second one if you remove both, you will clearly notice the damaged one.
I have to say these hubs are really easy to change, great engineering to make it so pain free. this car is a 2004 and no issues at all changing things.
Want to thank each and every one of you guys, I am now going to the rear to check the shoes. I've had them in my closet brand new for years and kept postponing the install.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
An infrared laser temperature gun will usually show you which bearing, brake caliper is bad. They're not terribly expensive ( under $30) and have tons of other uses.

Edit. I usually change hub bearings in pairs. I always do the bad side 1st. And it seems like when you get the 2nd one off, and spin it, it's not far behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

gica

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Cali
Yeah I have the infra red guns but didn't even think about it even though I knew the wheels heat up with bearing noise. Brain fart moment. Oh well it's all done now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This thread is locked. Parking brake issues go to the parking brake thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online