04 Rainier 4.2 AWD - Electrical Issues! ABS, Brake, Airbag, 4WD and Driver 1 Lights

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I have a 2004 Buick Rainier CXL+ AWD and I am having several electrical issues. The Cruise is not working. The ABS, Brake Light, Service 4x4 Light and Airbag Lights flash on and off intermittently at random. The DRIVER 1 message also pops up randomly while driving. I have seen over 20 posts with similar issues but have not seen any replies with answers. The battery is fine. My mechanic has jiggled the hell out of the iginition switch and he says that is not the problem. Another issue is that the HVAC system is blowing cold on the driver side and hot on the passenger side as well as blend/mode doors that arent working. I believe the electrical and HVAC issues are seperate problems...Any ideas???? PLEASE HELP!!

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
If I were having all of your issues, I'd replace the ignition switch. It's cheap peace of mind, and they are known to go bad and cause all manner of strange issues.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
jpr1978 said:
My mechanic has jiggled the hell out of the iginition switch and he says that is not the problem.
jiggling the switch won't prove anything. i agree with above, try swapping it out. when mine went bad i had a bunch of lights on the dash as well.

jpr1978 said:
Another issue is that the HVAC system is blowing cold on the driver side and hot on the passenger side as well as blend/mode doors that arent working. I believe the electrical and HVAC issues are seperate problems... PLEASE HELP!!
Probably, but swap ignition switch first and then see if you still have issues. if an ACC/Run circuit isn't getting proper voltage because of corroded ignition switch, who knows what that is affecting.

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So I followed the tips given to me that all pointed to a bad ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch with ACDELCO GM PART# 15242754 and there is no change. The ABS Light, Brake Light, Service 4WD Light, Airbag Light and Driver 1 or Driver Unknown still flash on the DIC. So what to do next? Help!!!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Until we get more of our technical content rewritten in GMTN format, look at this post on the OS: Location of electrical grounds - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Search especially for SP201 or G201, a ground splice pack at the bottom of the dash center stack, on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel.

Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Ground connection is perfect with zero corrosion. I removed it and cleaned it as long as I was there....but still no change. I am thinking there might be a ground short in the steering column????

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I found a document that describes some of the symptoms you are experiencing.

Do might have to download some of the manual/circuit info available to troubleshoot.
Also do you have access to anyone that can read body and chassis codes. Many independent shops can. I found it invaluable to have the codes to better pinpoint my AC problems. Fortunately I stumbled onto the fact the software that I had bought over 5 yrs ago from OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser can read B & C using enhanced GM parameters.

Attachments

• PIT3832B.jpg
    PIT3832B.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 18

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I took my Rainier and this printout to my mechanic this morning and he seemed confused. Hope he is able to find the problem!! Thank you!

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
My mechanic has struck out and has not been able to find the issue. He recommended replacing the ignition switch...Well I already did that last week and that isn't the issue. Anyone have any other ideas? I've seen similar problems listed on other posts but I've never seen a solution posted.... Please Help!!!!

Mudwheelin

Dec 4, 2011
Have you checked all your fuses? Disconnect your battery for 30 minutes, then reconnect it. Maybe it just needs a reset. I had a similar issue a few months ago. I did what I told you to do, and none of the lights have come on again. Give it try...

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I replaced the battery last week. I disconnected the old battery and didn't get a chance to install the new battery until several hours later. The same problems are haunting me even after 4 hours of the battery being disconnected. UGH!!!! Thanks for the tip though!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There are many other grounds, many underneath the vehicle where they can get corroded. I already recommended this thread on the OS: Location of electrical grounds - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum Did your mechanic look at the other grounds?

The issue might also be a garbled data transmission from any of the dozen intelligent modules in the vehicle. That may require a Tech II scan tool to track down, by a mechanic who knows how to use the data comm splice packs for troubleshooting. Very difficult work, that would be.

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the info Roadie! I have the car at my mechanic getting checked out right now. I also noticed the battery light very dimly lit. I wonder if its just the cluster that's the problem. Thanks for the follow up!

jpr1978

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I just ran across this post from a couple of years ago and wanted to give the update. My mechanic ended up finding a blown fuse in the fuse box underneath the rear seat, which when replaced, solved all of the problems. So my vehicle got a new ignition switch and new battery for no reason when the culprit was a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and haven't had another issue in 2+ years. Thanks for all of your help guys!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online