04 GMC Envoy XUV Roof and Tailgate Issues

sscotttaylor

Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
First of all I want to thank everyone who puts advice on this website. By reading the post I was able to fix my Envoy that was running rough at idle and shutting off. I cleaned the intake air throttle valve and replaced the upstream oxygen sensor and she is running great again!

I have big problems with the roof. It is currently closed, but when I try to roll up the rear tailgate window, it tells me to CLOSE THE ROOF. The rear window is stuck down and will not roll up. The roof will not move at all either.

Has anyone else had this similar issue and can share any troubleshooting advice? Is there a way to manually override the rear window to roll up, or a electrical trick to get the window to roll up?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I haven't confirmed, but you should be able to download manuals and schematics from the stickied thread that offers them. I have the XUV data in my 2004 shop manual as well.

They're rare beasts, but there are a few owners of XUVs here. Including one of the design team. Membrane switches and sensors are indeed high failure items. If I owned one I'd install manual override switches on the motors to ALL moving parts.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
sscotttaylor said:
First of all I want to thank everyone who puts advice on this website. By reading the post I was able to fix my Envoy that was running rough at idle and shutting off. I cleaned the intake air throttle valve and replaced the upstream oxygen sensor and she is running great again!

I have big problems with the roof. It is currently closed, but when I try to roll up the rear tailgate window, it tells me to CLOSE THE ROOF. The rear window is stuck down and will not roll up. The roof will not move at all either.

Has anyone else had this similar issue and can share any troubleshooting advice? Is there a way to manually override the rear window to roll up, or a electrical trick to get the window to roll up?

The owners manual has procedures for re-syncing the rear window up/down and roof closed, not sure if roof open needs to be synced. Basically it involves using the overhead console switch to move to end of travel and continue holding the switch after it stops, until the DIC (if equipped) shows the message and chimes that it has memorized the end of travel position.

There are (3) switches in the EndGate latches that feedback when the EndGate is closed. The window will only go up when the roof closed position is synced and the EndGate is closed.

I would try to re-sync the roof closed position first and then try window up while the EndGate is closed. The roof movement is kinda slow and it takes a couple seconds before it actually starts moving. Also that last stage of roof closing actually draws it down to compress the seal, hold switch until it fully stops and a couple seconds more. (you are probably aware that for convenience the key switch in the endgate operates not only the window but the roof too)

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have not had to resync my XUV tailgate as of yet. However, I have had other gremlins. And all of them have been fixed by disconnected the red terminal on the battery, grounding it out for 10 secs, and reconnecting the battery.

The only downside was the last time I did it, I lost my vents on my HVAC.

flowintx

Mar 26, 2020
Texas
Is there a way to disable the roof so i can use the back door and glass?

2004 Envoy XUV 4.2

PROBLEMS:
1. rear roof was stuck closed and said "Close the roof"
2. the rear tailgate was stuck closed and read "tailgate ajar"
3. The tailgate would not open. not flip down, or swing out.
4. the roof was rolling fine, just slow, then it all stopped working
5. driving like shit. sluggish. lights go out when driving. lose power on dash.

REPLACED PARTS:

I replaced the alternator

I replaced a few of the ignition coils (cross reference tested to see which needed love) in hindsight, i should have changed them all and bought online vs auto zone and overpaid. SMH

I replaced the rear end control module (needed to be reprogrammed my the dealership but I bought it online vs dealer and saved about $150)

Tailgate actuators (i replaced 2/3. Each one is unique but they look very similar.

The GM mechanic that has been on my XUV and I have come up with the result that the sensor in the rear roof motor is bad. This is the part number, but I can't seem to find any because it is discontinued. 88980206. I found a seller on ebay, but even though I double checked with the seller, it arrived as the incorrect part.

I have fixed every single part on this vehicle for it to be my perfect XUV, EXCEPT THE RETRACTABLE ROOF! lol. That being the primary reason I bought this vehicle, I could really use any help.

So as of now, the mechanic was able to "force" the rear roof and the rear tailgate glass in the closed positions. However, when you open the door (swing or flip down) when the glass slides down half an inch, it will not slide back up when you close the tailgate. If you roll it down all of the way, it will not rolled back up because the sensor thinks the roof is still open. The only way to slide it back up is with the DEALER TOOL that hooks up to the vehicle. This is the part that I am searching for.

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
I have read all of your description and everyone else is description have you tried the manual overrides or resets for the switches that they describe my roof also is not working on a 2004 XUV but everything else works perfectly.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Im 100% sure I have the motor, Im 95% sure I can find it. Another poster requested 1 a year or so ago and I removed 1 at the junkyard for him and never heard from him again. Please post a pic of yours in its installed location so I can be sure were are talking about the same part....The diagrams Im looking at online seem to indicate it is but Id like to be sure.
I havent looked at it in a while but i believe there is a white plastic gear attaches to it and I have that also..... I dont know anything about these XUV's but we had 1 at our local JY and a few people were looking for various parts so I removed them. Paid very little for them, theres no guarantee they even work but Ill send them to anyone for a few bucks + shipping.....they have no worth to me..

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Im 100% sure I have the motor, Im 95% sure I can find it. Another poster requested 1 a year or so ago and I removed 1 at the junkyard for him and never heard from him again. Please post a pic of yours in its installed location so I can be sure were are talking about the same part....The diagrams Im looking at online seem to indicate it is but Id like to be sure.
I havent looked at it in a while but i believe there is a white plastic gear attaches to it and I have that also..... I dont know anything about these XUV's but we had 1 at our local JY and a few people were looking for various parts so I removed them. Paid very little for them, theres no guarantee they even work but Ill send them to anyone for a few bucks + shipping.....they have no worth to me..
Tell me the safest way for us to conduct a transaction maybe through paypal or Venmo and or get in contact through Email. I would be interested in buying them or those pieces?

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Tell me the safest way for us to conduct a transaction maybe through paypal or Venmo and or get in contact through Email. I would be interested in buying them or those pieces?
I will go take my cover off and motor and see what I can find out. As stated all else on my vehicle works windows, doors Tailgate both ways. When I hit the button for the roof I don't even get a power draw, ( aka lights dimming) so I planned on taking that apart anyways.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Yea take the cover off and you should be able to find a diagram where you can test for power and grd to it. If you need hit me up at my username on this site @cox.net. For some reason emails from people go to my spam folder so be sure and let me know on here you emailed. We can work out payment that'll be the easiest part of the problem.... I should be able to get out there tomorrow and find it, weather here is horrible as usual.

Reactions: LovingmyXUV

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Found all in good physical health but here is my pics. I am wondering if this all needs reflashing as most parts in the tail gate have been replaced. (Or reprogramming) Dealer stuff.

Attachments

• 16199890325626987488185143020877.jpg
    16199890325626987488185143020877.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 161998905737670753499023663788.jpg
    161998905737670753499023663788.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 16199890759267107722586422217406.jpg
    16199890759267107722586422217406.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 12

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
That white module might be the other piece i have i was thinking of. Id still try to get a diagram and a test light and look for power in the places its supposed to be. I wouldnt go near a dealership with any problem on these cars. Hell you'll be lucky if they have a mechanic there who was even born when these cars were made much less knows a damn thing about them. I couldnt find a dealership within 3 states that would would even tell me they could reprogram the radio if i brought them factory instructions on how to do it!! A reputable shop with the right scan tools can do any factory programming better than the dealership in most cases. But flashing software would be the dead last thing I would think you would be looking at, maybe if that module is bad and you had to replace it but I have no idea about that either..

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Alright sounds fair and agreed on your statements of Dealer failure and young mechanics knowing little unless experienced. I would be willing to get the pieces you have and try it and maybe get a friend who knows how to help me search for power in the right places. Appreciate you sir and as stated I did email you and will look forward to hearing from you when your able to locate. Pray for better weather and days for you also anyways.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I did find a wiring diagram, in fact a whole thread on this site with a lot of info. But basically what you need to ck for 1st is power to the motor when its called for. you can do this by using a volt meter set to 12v DC and touching the black lead to the black/white striped wire on the module and the red lead to the power wire to open the roof which is the purple wire on the motor. Have someone push the button to open and you should have 12v showing on your meter. If you have power and nothing happens i guess its safe to assume the motor is bad....

However if you do not have power there are still other things it could be. For 1 there is 2 circuits that ck for debris in the door rails that will block the door from opening if it senses its in a bind. This starts getting kinda complicated and your probably better off printing out the info from the other thread and bringing it to a good shop with electrical circuit expertise and proper scan tools to go further.

As far as just changing the module and motor with the ones i have im not sure its that simple. Like i said i dont personally know a lot about this circuit but just scanning the other thread it appears you may would need a scan tool to program the replacement module AND we dont know that mine is a KNOWN GOOD PART. I would rather have a mechanic ck it, tell you that for sure either your motor or module is bad and then send you mine since you they are no longer available anyway. If you just plug mine in and it still doesnt work we would be back to square 1 since we wouldnt know if mine is any good either..

Here is the link to the other thread, its very technical but it does have all the diagrams and technical info contained in it. https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/bcm-pinout.16994/

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
So I did everything it told me to test and I get nothing at the Module plug(s) or the motor plug. Gonna start back tracking and go to fuse panel and relay panel and work back to the unit on Monday. Thanks again for your help and as again stated I would still like to receive/Purchase yours as back ups. I am going to be keeping this vehicle long term.

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Probably a good guess to say I have an issue with the ECU at this point. Do to picture evidence ya think? LOL

Attachments

• 16200617300206035475025654058583.jpg
    16200617300206035475025654058583.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 16200617661543666314725154448102.jpg
    16200617661543666314725154448102.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 16200617881814275223643195770189.jpg
    16200617881814275223643195770189.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 16200618136503671209352932874293.jpg
    16200618136503671209352932874293.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 15

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
IMG_20210508_101751090.jpg

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Send me your addy via email and Ill get it out to you Monday. I cant imagine shipping would be over $20 but if thats an Ok ceiling for you consider it a done deal. If they work you can send me later whatever value you think they have...

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Yea I got it. Well discuss it there

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Should have a package on your doorstep Weds aft............

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Glad to hear it. We really got lucky. In the 4+ years Ive been going to the local junkyards Ive ran across exactly 1 XUV. And apparently the yard didnt know what they had because the next time I went it was gone! Luck was on our side this time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online