NEED HELP 04 Envoy XUV Key locked in Ign.

Frost

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Chicago
Hi All. This is my first post. First of all I have to say that I stand humbled as you all make me more knowledgeable every day! Thank You! Well just got home turned the XUV off and wallah the key would not come out. It has a new starter, ignition switch, battery, stoplight switch. I did this because this issue happened before. (The starter had gone out anyhow) I removed the bottom steering cover and got the key out by pushing in the ignition key lock. I am able to start and all lights, gauges are working but when I turn off unless I push the lock pin the key will not return to full off. Was thinking ignition key??? I have read many of the post/ conversations with this issue and have tried most, but I still have a ghost... Any thoughts, help will be greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 20902

Check voltage to that solenoid, when the vehicle is in park it should have battery voltage there. It could be that the solenoid itself is bad. It's not common but I have seen it before.

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I was going to say the ignition switch is sometimes the culprit. Though its rare but sometimes the Park/Neutral switch in the shifter assembly goes bad, and the only way to replace it is to swap out the entire assembly.

Reactions: Mooseman

Frost

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Chicago
Check voltage to that solenoid, when the vehicle is in park it should have battery voltage there. It could be that the solenoid itself is bad. It's not common but I have seen it before.
Ignition switch solenoid? Is there such a thing? Forgive my ignorance!

I was going to say the ignition switch is sometimes the culprit. Though its rare but sometimes the Park/Neutral switch in the shifter assembly goes bad, and the only way to replace it is to swap out the entire assembly.
I forgot to mention in the original post that I also replace the shifter assembly.

D

Deleted member 20902

The thing you pressed to release the key is in fact a solenoid. It sole purpose is to keep someone from turning the engine off while in gear. If you look under there you'll see the wires for it. With the vehicle running in park you should have voltage there.

If you have voltage there you will be certain that the problem is with the solenoid itself, or the connection to it. If you do not have voltage you may need to adjust you neutral safety switch aka shift indicator switch. You may also try shifting the vehicle into park forcefully to see if anything changes, if it does you need to tweak the NSS.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did you have the key out? If not, than its expected.

Frost

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Chicago
Yes I got it out last night by manually pressing the key lock pin in the column. Nothing was left on.

gladesteen

Aug 19, 2014
Yes I got it out last night by manually pressing the key lock pin in the column. Nothing was left on.

Frost, try some graphite powder. I had this exact issue a few years back. Go to any auto store and buy a small tube of graphite powder. With key out, squirt a few shots into the key hole then tap the ignition assy a few times to spread the powder around inside. Test with key for smoothness. Mine was fixed permanently doing this 'trick'. Its a hell of a lot easier than changing the Ignition Sw.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I suspect the battery. When the key doesn't come out, it is usually the battery.

You said you had just replaced the battery, which is actually a clue. Some batteries have high initial failure rates, and new ones can fail their first month. Usually if they get past three months, they will last 4 to 5 years. I would certainly get the battery tested because that is by far the most common cause of a stuck key. If the battery tests okay, then there is a draw somewhere draining your battery.

Reactions: Mooseman

Frost

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Chicago
Greetings! Thanks to all who posted to this thread! My apologies for the delayed response, but I don't have a garage and there are times you just can't work outside in Chicago. Anyhow thanks to all you who replied to this post. You all had awesome ideas! Special thanks to RevHardGarage. You were right on the money! See photo. The solenoid to the left is from a donor at my favorite toy store (U-pic-A-part) To the right is the one I removed. You cannot easily tell from were it was mounted, but once off you can see the burnt spot.8746387462

D

Deleted member 20902

That's awesome man! Glad you got it fixed, and glad I could be of some help! 👍

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online