03 trailblazer ext amp location.

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
I purchased a new radio to install. The old radio would only play out of the rt front speaker and some times it would play out of all of the speakers. I thought it was the radio but I have been told it is the amplifier. Is there a way to convert it to an aftermarket amp and where the hell is it first of all. Any help would be great thanks for your time

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There's only a separate amp if you have a Bose system. Do you? If so, it in the driver's side cargo area behind the side trim panel. Aftermarket head units that don't work with Bose amps need a bypass harness because all the speakers are wired to the amp location and not up front to the head unit.

There are some threads you should read in the Audio section, where I'll move this thread now for better traffic.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Whether you have an amp or not actually depends on the level of radio your vehicle came from the factory with. Bose radios DO have the amp. I can't recall if a "mid-grade" option was available in 2003, but this would also offer an amp. An easy way to tell if you have an amp is to check for speakers up in the dash. All models have the holes there, but having speakers in there means you have a radio level that has an amp.

The amp itself would be in the cargo area. Specifically, on the passenger side behind the side panel, just aft of the right rear door. I'll see if I can dig up a reference picture.

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
The Truck does NOT have the Bose system. It is the standard gm. radio. There is no on star or navigation as well. Even the installer at the audio dealer insisted that there has to be an external amp in the car. Can someone explain why the sound only out of one speaker? I thought the radio was going bad am I correct on that? Thanks for any input guys.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
whtmontie said:
The Truck does NOT have the Bose system. It is the standard gm. radio. There is no on star or navigation as well. Even the installer at the audio dealer insisted that there has to be an external amp in the car. Can someone explain why the sound only out of one speaker? I thought the radio was going bad am I correct on that? Thanks for any input guys.
The installer is wrong. If the stock GM radio has a connector with speaker wires going to it, that's the proof.

You will need an adapter to use any aftermarket radio in there. It won't even power up properly without one. Which adapter is the installer recommending?

Speakers can go silent because of problems in the head unit, wiring (especially where it flexes in the door hinge ares), OR the speaker itself. Failures have to be properly troubleshot using a known good speaker, then a known good head unit, and a meter to check the integrity of the wiring. Anything else is worthless guessing.

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
The Name of the harness I don't remember off hand, I will look when I get out of work. It is to retain the factory door chimes and what not. I will Take the door panels off and check each speaker. I saw a video on YouTube where a trailblazer had the same issue and when he replaced the head unit he had the same problem. I don't know if he ever figured it out he never posted anything else. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Are your speakers factory? or did you replace speakers when the new hu was installed?? I havent changed hu yet, but since we are both lwb we have the rear seat entertainment system, and if the rear is powered on, then there is no sound out the rear speakers because it changes it to the headphone jacks. Maybe someone can chime in on the correct harness for the lwb, as im not for sure if the gmos-01 would still retain the rear controls, or if they would be bypassed.

As for the front speaker, i would guess that either the speaker is bad, or a loose connection.

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Midnyteryder02 said:
Are your speakers factory? or did you replace speakers when the new hu was installed?? I havent changed hu yet, but since we are both lwb we have the rear seat entertainment system, and if the rear is powered on, then there is no sound out the rear speakers because it changes it to the headphone jacks. Maybe someone can chime in on the correct harness for the lwb, as im not for sure if the gmos-01 would still retain the rear controls, or if they would be bypassed.

As for the front speaker, i would guess that either the speaker is bad, or a loose connection.

I have not installed the new HU yet. That is the problem with the stock radio. I don't have the rear seat entertainment system, so that is not the issue. I will be able to open the dash and doors up next week sometime. I am hopeful that a new head unit will solve the issue. I do have the gmos-lan 01 to install the new head unit.

Reactions: it's a voy

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
whtmontie said:
I have not installed the new HU yet. That is the problem with the stock radio. I don't have the rear seat entertainment system, so that is not the issue. I will be able to open the dash and doors up next week sometime. I am hopeful that a new head unit will solve the issue. I do have the gmos-lan 01 to install the new head unit.

IMHO Speakers fail much more often than Headunits, test those speakers first.

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for the advise guys. The new head unit was an upgrade anyway. I just find it strange that 3 out of 4 speakers go out at the same time and come on occasion together. That's why I am leaning to the HU or a loose clip on the radio. I will let you know what I find in this adventure, I am installing a rear camera dvd nav unit. It was cheaper than purchasing a new truck

whtmontie

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
If anyone has the same problem as described as mine check the speakers first. After changing the head unit it turned out to be the speakers after all. But the back up camera and dvd are a welcomed addition to the Trailblazer. Thanks to everyone's help on the issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online