03 to 06 Engine Swap

skioguy68

Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Hudson Falls NY
Hoping someone can tell me if an engine from a 2003 Envoy will interchange into a 2006 Envoy. I am more than willing to change over what is needed as long as it doesn't involve removing the head, crank, cams, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
It'll be a complicated mission and a pain if you think the hassle is worth it.

The biggest hurtle is that the reluctor is a 58x in 06 while 02-05 were 24x. Heads are a little bit different on the 06 as well. Not including that you need an 02-05 wiring harness + TCM+ PCM to make the engine work in the newer truck.

@limequat May know....but you would be better off getting an 06-09 engine that is plug and play.

Last edited:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
2008 and 2009 had 58x.

They used a 24 up until then? Wow. Thought they did the change around the time the 5.3 was changed to 58.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation, @skioguy68 ...

As a Trained Auto Mechanic... You should feel right at home when performing this Swap. And fallowing the "Commutative Theory of Addition and Multiplication"... The attached Link discusses this same Swap ...but in the Reverse Years... so the data there will still be valuable in figuring out what to look for between the two Model Years because it literally ...works both ways:

https://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=67605

Unless you have access to a Shop Lift to make things easier... If you are not junking or selling the Old Motor, I would recommend removing the Old Engine Head prior to lifting out this motor, as it will give you much easier access to the Two Top Transmission Bolts that you would ordinarily have to struggle mightily with to access over the "hump" of the 4L60E Transmission.

If any PCM "Tuning Entanglements" are involved... send a PM to either @limequat or Kelly@PCMofNC as they have intimate knowledge of the GMT360 Platform and can offer advice on any PCM Issues and are able to perform Professional Tunes for reasonable fees.

Your two primary allies for obtaining information about the best ways to get this job done with the least fanfare are @Mooseman and @m.mcmillen .

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc4flash

silver007

Sep 2, 2018
GA
Am I understanding this right - an '02-05 will work in an 07 as long as you swap some parts over from the 07 to the 02-05?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, as said above.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online