03 Envoy XL won't move, looking for suggestions.

TerryG

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Illinois
My wife's 03 Envoy XL started acting silly yesterday on her way to work. It was going along fine and then just stopped moving. According to her there wasn't any transmission slipping going on, and we were able to nurse it back home by shutting it off, driving it until it acted up again, then shutting if off, etc.

The 4wd selector switch shows the red N on start so I tried cleaning the switch by quickly rotating it back and forth, no luck. I pulled the fuse, checked the trans fluid (which looked fine) and held the switch past 4lo for around thirty seconds, again no luck.

I can hear an electric motor sound when I flip between modes on the selector switch, and it makes a light clunking noise when going back into 2wd.

After reading around I see that it could be anything from the switch being bad to the trans shot, but I was wondering if anyone has had the exact issues I'm having and, if so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks
Terry

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Haven't ever read about symptoms exactly like yours, but a mechanic with a GM Tech II tool or equivalent high end scan tool could run the TCCM through its paces and see what the switch position is as seen by the TCCM.

If you can get it into 2HI mode, you could always pull the fuse for the 4WD system and it will stay in position.

What's your mileage, and fluid change history on the tranny and transfer case?

TerryG

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Illinois
I just replaced the switch since the knob broke while I was flipping it back and forth like a maniac trying to clean the contacts. Now it seems like it wants to pull itself, but can't. It seems to be switch modes smoother tho.

Not sure on the fluid changes, we bought it used and the previous owner didn't keep maintenance records on it. It has 159k on it, so I wouldn't be too shocked if it needed fresh fluids in it.

I'll call around tomorrow while I'm at work and see if one of my shops has a Tech II tool that I can borrow.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online