NEED HELP 03 burb z71 sunroof... Works normal except it wont

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
hey im back, got my hands on a Z71 03 Burb. My brother in law sold it to me 2500. not a bad deal and we had issues with the wifes 97 xploder. i still have my expedition (04) Eddiebauer but the burb is a bit too big for the wife to drive so i get that. man going to miss those heated Seats.. anyway back to the issues at hand.

First and most important to fix - SUNROOF !!!
it will open , and close (mostly) this normal function but here is the part it wont do and thats to fully close! the sun roof gets to the point where it should lift into place and close and seal, but it just gets there and then nothing. it stops and wont lift up, it will not vent either. (then again this being day one im not sure if its suppose to vent (pop the rear of the glass above the roof line ) or if it just opens a little as a vent (there is also no sun shade) he removed it.. and says over the last week this just happened. he had it taped shut but i want it closed until i can replace the defective parts as needed.
What should i look for, process to close or reset the thing (read somewhere it can be reprogrammed???)

Appreciate the help
Bill

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
is there anyone who can take a picture of the tracks in the sunroof, i think I know what the cause might be but need to see the tracks towards the closed end. I think the (Ramps) if you will are broken off and i think this may be what forces the glass to lift. but i want to get a picture of it to confirm, i cant find one on google.
Thanks
Bill

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I was hoping it would show, but it does not,
Im really hoping someone with a full size GMT would have the sunroof option and take some pics of their functional roof and the tracks inside the track and the slide. I almost want to say there should be two little ramps riveted into the track that would lift the glas into position.. If so thats what I need to find in the bone yards.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it's basically the same as the GMT360/370. There are lots of part that are used cross-platforms.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
can anyone with a similar model take a picture of the tracks with the sunroof open? something for me to use to identify the difference? i think there is a stop or ramp in the track that may be missing from mine if i could see what it looks like maybe i can fabricate something similar to get it closed before the next rain/snow hits my area.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last edited:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok so little update, I found that if i remove the connecting rod on the right track slide, it would attempt to close, it also appears i have it where it should be now but. its not locking up so i can get it almost sealed now. I'll get some pics soon to show you all what i'm talking about.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
IMAG0055.jpg IMAG0057.jpg IMAG0058.jpg
k so here is the part in the track i think is causing the issue in pic #1
Second and third pics are of the part i moved to allow it to open, dunno know why its not working like it should.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it possible to replace just that piece? Methinks that you'll wind up replacing the entire mechanism, which would eliminate all possibilities. Are these available aftermarket?

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok well i looked and found another suburban in the bone yard, dude is pulling the sunroof and it's costing me $150. i even got the glass included. so fair price and it looked to be in good condition, and i think I was correct, it appears to have ramps in the tracks that kick the glass up. but instead of messing with drilling out the ramps ill just replace the entire unit it looked very clean so ill use it.

Last edited:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
ok so an update,
Got the hub bearing replaced, and last night in the course of 2 hours had the headliner and sun roof assembly pulled and replaced. took a few more min to reassemble the trim peices but had the truck where i could drive it home after the kids dance practice . did this in the parking lot of the dance practice.
Getting more work done so soon it will be really ready.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now that's the way to multi task!

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok so no real work done to the Burb! however I did update some of the stereo components Friday night. played with it a bit more Saturday. I also scored a new lock for the spare tire carrier. other one rusted out.
Still trying to nail down the SIR issues. I also know the horn in my truck isn't working the white spring loaded assembly is not locking in. looks like tabs broken off. need to replace that too lol.

Want to also find the updated OnStar module so I can just get it activated for my truck. i don't want to get locked into a 3 year contract with them . may not even have the truck that long. hope to get into something newer I really want the Yukon Denali.. Like the way they look and interior of the GMC line has always drew my attention. But i'm a stickler for options and want (almost feel compelled/NEED ) to have it all functional . every vehicle i have owned i got every option that came with it functional (I like my creature comforts.)

So now the factory head unit (6disc changerfor now) is connected to a gateway, and Bluetooth unit. so I have full access XM/Sirius as well as bluetooth streaming.. Very nice to have it in now.. All i'm missing is the nav unit (wait thats coming today!) Hopefully its not going to show me theftlock! I dont know if removing the chip will brick this unit. Im trying to find more info.. I also hear there are some systems that cant be reprogrammed to a vehicle that never had the nav as an option. So I'm kinda stuck. Also anyone got a Navigation Disc I can use to test?

I plan on trying to install it tonight while my daughter is at dance practice again.. got two more hours to kill.

anyone who wishes to send me a link to the NAV file or wishes to contact me can send me an email to Bill@therices.net

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or if anyone would be nice enough to make a copy for you for a modest fee? Maybe post in the wanted section.

For an OnStar module, maybe pick one up in a pick-a-part from a newer model that works with digital signals. Might need to be programmed by dealer or shop with a Tech 2 though for the VIN.

Reactions: Bill05EnvoySLT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online