03 avalanche died going down the road... will try to start ...

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
my son was driving our 03 avalanche, engine died... it will try to start after sitting awhile and run for a few sec but if run longer it will die or if you press on the gas. I have to believe maybe a clogged fuel filter? There are no codes at all... any chance I could be right and this could be an easy fix?

1 more thing... after it restarts and has run for a few seconds, it will not restart again until it sits... but it does not seem like and electrical thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Check fuel pressure to confirm that the pump is working. If pressure is below spec then you know what that means. Pump time. Wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter because it is cheap and easy, doubt that's the issue though unless you've been running sand through the tank.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Replaced the filter, ran it for 5 min , shut it off to put my tools up... now it is back to not starting!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fuel pressure check time.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
yep I believe it is... I do not have a fuel pressure tester. my scangage has a setting to show it... but the truck has to be running to show what the cpu thinks it is. I doubt I would be able to drop the tank in my kids parking lot with 15-20 gallons of gas in it anyway. I think it is time for me to give it up and pay a professional.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
and it it just me... but it seems like it would make a lot of sense to have an access plate in the bed to allow this to be replaced without dropping the @5#$#$ tank!

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
and it it just me... but it seems like it would make a lot of sense to have an access plate in the bed to allow this to be replaced without dropping the @5#$#$ tank!

Makes sense from a service perspective but would cost extra to manufacture. Car makers don't really care too much if something is hard to service out of warranty.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Have you tried swapping relays? Likely not the issue but it's a no-cost check. Small chance it's failing after it energizes but doesn't hurt to check.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Could not find a parts store that would loan a gauge which surprised me... in the end had it towed to the shop so they could test and they confirmed a bad pump... 1 pump replacement later the truck is running great. Had I been physically able to do it myself in my sons parking lot on jack stands... would have saved a bundle... it just was not meant to be. Thanks for all the replies... you hit it dead on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online