02blackenvoys build on the 02 SLT

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Here is my new to me 02 Envoy SLT... I now have been bitten by the mod bug, so lets have some fun!

Here she is the day I got her... The prior owner had already removed the side trim and I like that.

env01.jpg

env02.jpg

env03.jpg

env04.jpg

env05.jpg

env06.jpg

One of the first mods done, because the bumper cover needed replaced because the pass side cornering light was missing and of course, would not pass PA inspection, so the warranty company covered the new cover. I had the body shop leave the front plate bracket off...:biggrin: I don't have to have it here in PA, and I think it looks better without it.

More to come!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you're into chrome, check out some running boards on a Buick Rainier. They look pretty good, pretty durable, with a tasteful chrome stripe down the side. I've got them, came off the used car lot to me with them, and they bolt right up no problem.

I don't find body side molding to be too bad, AS LONG AS it's matched to the paint. Not just dark gray, crappy exposed plastic.

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Well, lets keep the mod train going...Tax refunds are wonderful...

I found this K&N Intake on Craigslist... The guy told me it was too loud for his GF's trailblazer...lol...Not for me.

kn01.jpg

Then I installed the newer airbag with the nice shiny GMC logo on it in there...easy change..

newbag01.jpg

Then I found a set of TBSS wheels, with 90% tread tires on craigslist In detroit. 4 hour ride, but worth it... These guys had me in and out in less than 10 minutes...Unbelievable...

detroit01.jpg

detroit02.jpg

detroit03.jpg

detroit04.jpg

detroit05.jpg

And finally today, I took my old Pioneer Nav unit and had it installed. I was going to do it myself, but a local stereo shop was more than happy to do it...100 bucks... Saved me the hassle.

f90bt01.jpg

I used this interface. Everything is working...wheel controls, onstar, rear seat audio, bose amp...

rp5gm11.jpg

And made a splash screen for it too...lol

envsplash.jpg

One more thing to install, then I am going to slow for a wee bit...lol..

Shawn:smile:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The Voy is coming along well. Love the SS wheels :salivate: I have been searching Craig's List for months now trying to find a good deal, but cannot find any for sale around me other than (1) set, but the guy will not return my emails, texts, or phone calls :hissyfit:. Maybe he has already sold them :undecided:

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
dmanns67 said:
The Voy is coming along well. Love the SS wheels :salivate: I have been searching Craig's List for months now trying to find a good deal, but cannot find any for sale around me other than (1) set, but the guy will not return my emails, texts, or phone calls :hissyfit:. Maybe he has already sold them :undecided:

These were tough to find too. the guy I got them off of has another set of them...

Shawn

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Well, got a little more accomplished...

Lost the old shifter, and made a change to this...

Before...

IMG_20140304_133742_218.jpg

After...

IMG_20140305_105332_181.jpg

Then I decided to have the windows tinted..

IMG_20140310_184634_547.jpg

Next decision...Keep or lose the running boards...

Shawn

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
02blackenvoy said:
Lost the old shifter, and made a change to this...

Next decision...Keep or lose the running boards...

I have that shifter, too. Before I had actually seen the "base" shifter, I thought it looked just like mine except without the shiny ridge. Nope, it looks like a wad of Play-Doh some kid had on the end of a stick. Doesn't really feel good just casually leaning the arm on or holding, either.

The running boards is a form and function question. Do they have any function to you, like helping elderly relatives in or something? If not, then we're looking purely at form here. For form, the trade is between looking accessorized and having a look that simulates being a bit closer to the ground, or having a cleaner look and having a higher-appearing stance. I myself have Rainier boards on mine, with a chrome stripe along the side, and I love the look on the black/silver TB I have.

I don't really dig the TV/Envoy stock ones though, dark gray lumps of oval-specked turds. The Rainier (and also Bravada, but it has more chrome) boards look clean with rounded ends but otherwise providing clean lines. If you're getting rid of them, look in the wanted section because there's a guy looking to buy.

Also consider swapping the amber turn signals for the smoke-colored ones. There's part numbers laying around here somewhere, I know because I posted them :rotfl:, I believe it's about $40 per side and comes with the lens, the bracket and even a bulb pre-installed apparently. It'd fit better with the pitch black look the Envoy is already rocking. :twocents:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
It's up to you on whether or not you use it, but I vote you lose the roof rack! Makes for a look that is SOOO much sleeker and smoother, especially with that good looking black you've already got going there. I also say lose the running boards, and since your paint is black anyhow a nice set of factory GMC splash guards will not only look pretty good and blend in nicely, but protect your paint from rock chips and general road nastiness. Those are mods that'll run you next to nothing, and you can purchase the splash guards with the money you get out of the running boards! :yes:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
02blackenvoy said:
I'm sorry to have to do this, but I need to point out a massive issue you have with your build. You have the LCARS splash screen, but that's obviously the NCC-1701 on your screen there. Everyone knows that the LCARS didn't come around until the NCC-1701-D. Some people have no attention to detail! :raspberry:

Jared

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Point taken, Jared.. EVERYONE knows that... LOl

I also did the 07-up rear wiper, and that was a cinch...

rearwiper01.jpg

I am really thinking the running board will bite the dust here soon, as well as the rack...and the big ol' resonator too... I need to find some of the door side strips to do the rack though...:smile:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
02blackenvoy said:
Point taken, Jared.. EVERYONE knows that... LOl

I also did the 07-up rear wiper, and that was a cinch...

rearwiper01.jpg

I am really thinking the running board will bite the dust here soon, as well as the rack...and the big ol' resonator too... I need to find some of the door side strips to do the rack though...:smile:

All you really need to get rid of the rack is 10 set screws and a little Teflon tape. They're metric, but I forget the size, I think it was Dmanns who told me the size I needed when I got mine. You can polish up the lines where they were on the roof with some rubbing compound, and hit the little inserts with the set screws in them with a little black touch up paint, and run it that way until you find the molding. I've ran mine that way for months and never had issues.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013

Attachments

• roof-top.jpg
    roof-top.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 15
  • voy1.jpg
    voy1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 15

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Sorry it's been a while... thought I'd share a few updates...

I decided that the aftermarket XM antenna wasn't what I wanted, so a trip to the yard netted a XM antenna from a trailblazer. I grabbed the wiring as well, and installed it to the roof. The first hole is the scariest.

Envoybuild 34.jpg

Envoybuild 35.jpg

It works very nice, and doesn't lose reception very little if at all. To make it work with the Pioneer unit, I simply removed the plastic plug on the end, and plugged it into the unit.

Also, I did finally remove the running boards... To me, it looks a whole lot better.

Envoybuild 40.jpg

I did drilled and slotted rotors all the way around. I do regret not doing the front brake upgrade. I am not sure if it would be worth it, but I may do it next pad change.

Envoybuild 25.jpg

Envoybuild 26.jpg

Bye Bye resonator!

Envoybuild 36.jpg

Envoybuild 37.jpg

Decided to lose the SS wheels, sold them off and bough these wheels, $300 out the door from Craigslist... (also, the rack has been removed, but can't seem to locate the black side strips to do it right...)

Envoybuild 27.jpg

I found in the junkyard, a Saab 97... It lost its roof rack...lol. I painted the end caps with that plastic bonding paint from Walmart, and it has been through several high pressure car washes, no peeling at all.

Envoybuild 30.jpg

Had these tail lights... decided to go another route.. The old...

Envoybuild 41.jpg

Those are in my shed... They are painted black, and are for sale if anyone is interested... Shoot me a PM. I went with tinting the tail lights... Not overly dark. No issues so far, even when a state boy was right behind me... lol. I am looking for a set of Ascender tails, for another idea in my mind...

Envoybuild 45.jpg

Envoybuild 31.jpg

Changed the grille out...

Envoybuild 44.jpg

Removed the glass handle on the back glass...

Envoybuild 38.jpg

Envoybuild 39.jpg

SS steering wheel...

Envoybuild 42.jpg

Mixed and matched a SS cluster (from a 08 into my 02) and the Saab 97 bezel, to make this. I like the look of the chrome around the gauges.

Envoybuild 28.jpg

lastly, the most recent mod was the smoked mirror signals. Pays to know someone in the yard, they simply let me trade the amber ones for these, provided i change them out so they can still sell the mirrors.. no problem! I am however, a little disappointed in the output of the light during the day.

Envoybuild 29.jpg

Envoybuild 32.jpg

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Nice mods. Did you have to program new cluster?

Nope, I just plugged it in and it works fine. Wish I could do something with the trailblazer ss that comes up on startup, otherwise it works fine. The only thing I did notice was the old cluster had the "instant mpg" and this one doesn't.

Daniel417

Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
That's good to know. I need a new cluster and really like your setup. But I also like my instant mpg read out. Good job on the envoy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the wheel upgrade as well. Truck is looking really good!

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online