02 TB SES Light on with 10 Codes

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Hello all. Wifey come home the other day and her 02 TB had the SES light on. She had it scanned and 10 codes came up. I have yet to dig into it as i just had hand surgery and am limited to what i can do. But the stupid state of Ohio and the County i live in requires an emissions check every two years and wouldn't you know that is right now. So i can't really wait on this and i'm asking for at least a direction to start looking since i am one handed at the moment. My first reaction was that for 10 codes to pop up at once it may be either a harness connection point loose or possibly a fuse buss that is loose. I have had fuse block issues in the past with this TB but it was the 4x4 A/C and some other items that went out. I remedied that by installing a 30 amp inline fuse off the main bus and re fed those items and it's been good ever since. So in the mean time ill be digging deeper into the massive amount of info on this amazing website and if any of you have a suggestion i'm all ears. Thanks in advance! :smile:

oops, here are the codes:

co281 stop lamp sw circuit
co226 LF wheel speed signal missing
co291 park brake A relay short or open
co237 rear wheel speed signal erratic
co265 electronic brake control module
co223 RF wheel speed signal erratic
co222 RF wheel speed signal missing
po340 camshaft position sensor A circuit
po014 exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced
p1345 crankshaft / camshaft position sensor

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! We can do so much to help you if only you'd post the codes.

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Sorry about not including the codes earlier. I'm digging through the service manual pdf at the moment trying to find where to start, no clue yet. Here are the codes:

co281 stop lamp sw circuit
co226 LF wheel speed signal missing
co291 park brake A relay short or open
co237 rear wheel speed signal erratic
co265 electronic brake control module
co223 RF wheel speed signal erratic
co222 RF wheel speed signal missing
po340 camshaft position sensor A circuit
po014 exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced
p1345 crankshaft / camshaft position sensor

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The P**** codes are the ones that will bring up a MIL. The C**** codes are called Chassis codes, and relate to things on the body that aren't directly involving the engine or transmission for the most part (such as the park brake code).

It would appear your series of P-codes may be stemming from a single source, in this case the camshaft position sensor. You have the p0340, which is the CPS circuit malfunction. From that code (intermittent or fully-failed camshaft position sensor or related wiring), you get the other two: P0014 camshaft over-advanced (this may be a false report from a failing camshaft sensor), and P1345 camshaft/crankshaft correlation error. A failing camshaft sensor obviously wouldn't properly correlate with the crankshaft sensor.

I'd start with the camshaft position sensor and we'll see what goes on from there. Again, for emissions purposes, the C-codes should be completely irrelevant as none of them have no bearing on your emissions check. When they check, it's usually to ensure the MIL is off, and then a check of the self-test results within the PCM (it checks EVAP, A.I.R. and/or SAIS, etc. and collects all the data in one place for emissions checking). Some of these tests can run easily within 10 minutes (the car does them automatically), others require tens or up to 200 miles or so of driving before their status changes from "inc," meaning testing stage, to "ok."

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Thanks for the reply. :smile: I'm headed to the parts store now to get a cam sensor. Have changed it before on other vehicles and i'm pretty sure i can do this even one handed. I'll let you know how it goes in a bit. As for the other codes, still searching...

Reactions: Tanda777

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Just took the TB for a test drive after replacing the cam sensor. It seems to idle and run much better than before so possibly that was the cause of the "P" codes. As for the "C" codes I believe i have found a starting point for troubleshooting that. According to the service manual wiring diagrams the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) deals with the speed sensors, brake switch signal ect. It's located on the inner frame rail next to the tranny according to the schematic. Hopefully it's just a bad connector issue on the module, we'll see. Anyone dealt with this before? I'll be tearing into it in the morning i guess.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
gruvedaddy said:
Hopefully it's just a bad connector issue on the module, we'll see. Anyone dealt with this before? I'll be tearing into it in the morning i guess.
A few discussions. Mostly the first thing to go flaky is a corroded ground lug on the frame rail nearby. Depends how much salt it's been driven through in its life.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I am operating from memory, but I think you have two lights, SES and ABS.
Are they off? If not, you may not pass inspection. This may require that you clear
them and go thru the drive cycle to reset the computer. May take 200 miles.
And if they come back on you will have to scan for the new codes and see what
they show. The ABS is the anti-lock brake light and may be related to the C codes.
Just a thought.

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
The only light that is on is the SES amber light, no ABS light. The ABS is working. I know this because we had several inches of snow last night and they did work as they normally do in snowy conditions (pulsating preventing locking up while stopping). Is it possible that this is an intermittant problem and the computer just has yet to check again to see if the issue that caused the codes is still present and therefore the SES light is still on even though it seems to be working fine? As for how much salt it has been subjected to it is a lot as i live in Northern Ohio and we have had it since 2004 and its driven every day. Our Ohio E-Check will not pass any vehicle with a SES light on not matter what the reason. :mad: I'll see if i can get to the ground lug and clean it up and run it through a few start stop run cycles to see if it clears up. If the EBCM were itself bad would this give a different code? Just wonderng in case the clean up of the ground lug does not do the trick. Thanks again guys. :smile:

Just got some more info from the wife (its her ride). She said one day the SES had been on when she was coming to a stop on icy roads and the ABS started working as they should then the light went away. Then a couple days later the SES light reappeared.She states other that the lights that all come on during startup she has never seen the ABS light illuminate, and neither have i.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Quick question. When is E-check due. How much time do you have? The reason I ask is because
clearing you SES light is probably a high item on you list of to do's. If the CPS was the real reason for
the P codes, the computer may turn the SES light off after "X" number of drive cycles. The only
other choice that I know of is to clear the codes with a scanner, and drive the vehicle thru "X"
number of drive cycles to reset the emission systems. Some body else may be able to answer
the number "X".

gruvedaddy

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Yesterday, with some assistance, i cleaned up the ground on the EBCM. And today i drove it for about 70 miles and headed straight to E-check and guess what? It passed with flying colors! Thanks again to all you guys for the imput. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online