02 envoy Transmission

Stunt_Dude

Original poster
Mar 13, 2018
Ontario
02 envoy 4.2 6l slt has a leak in the transmission line on the passenger side of engine. The line leaking is the lower line. I can't find the part number for replacement nor have I found whether I have to replace both lines as a single unit. I believe it's the inlet outlet lines from under the radiator to the transmission. Questions are, how much of the line needs replacing, the leak is at the lowest point on the line beside the transmission, does anyone know the part number or numbers required to fix, are there any special tools to get repair done and does anyone know where I can find the transmission cooling schematics for my vehicle?

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I have repaired my transmission lines by putting in copper line pieces with compression fittings. As long as you have good transmission line for compression fittings to bite on, and space to get a cutter on, this is one option. What held me off the other way was buying the lines, and having to deal with getting the line fittings off of the transmission which can be tricky to get to. Also you can get pdf service manuals here on the site.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just recently purchased my trans cooler lines for my 2002 from the dealer. There are 4 sections... joined just under where the washer fluid reservoir is located.

Where is yours leaking from? The rear lines going into the trans are a slight PITA. If you have the leak in the front then that will be easier but the junction can be stubborn.

Don't lose the small wire clips.

The new lines for the front come with the wire retainers installed in the junction. You will need to keep your old ones at the trans and the cooler....I would suggest picking up a few extra.

The passenger side line from the cooler to the junction is GM part# 15817500

Screenshot_20190620-020305_Gallery.jpg

Drivers side line from cooler to junction is GM 15817514

Screenshot_20190620-020857_Gallery.jpg

matermark

Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
Just a note: I believe above parts are for I6 vehicles. Attached are the AC Delco lines for V8 vehicles...V8lines--Capture.PNG
Don't mind the small 90-degree pics, they look nothing like those 2 pics. Now if someone can decode what ST1, ST155 and ST158 are that would help greatly. LM4 is the pre-2005 aluminum 5.3L V8 before it became the Displacement on Demand LH6 in '05. CJ2 is the Auto Temp Control Air Conditioning and CJ3 is the Manual Temp A/C; M30 is the 4L60E 4-speed OD Auto Trans. Prices are from GM Parts Giant, gmpartsgiant.com.

Last edited:

cobblershelli

Feb 8, 2019
new windsor md
I'm going to tell you from personal experience and just going through it with my 01 Silverado truck, replace all the lines because you don't want to get half of it done and have half of it blow up in your face..... like what happened to me because I only replace part of the stuff and it cost me a transmission and you definitely don't want that so what should have been about a $200 repair ended up being over 2,000 repair by the time everything is said and done plus the $200 repair from the initial line replacement....replace it all... At minimum what you have and there is 19 year old cheap Chinese steel lines so think about that.

cobblershelli

Feb 8, 2019
new windsor md
"...19 year old cheap Chinese steel lines..." Huh? Are you saying GM used Chinese parts or Chinese steel??
Yep I am. I've been working on cars since I was 13 years old I'm 52 years old the quality of steel over the last 30 years has gotten absolutely horrendous. research where it's made it's made. Bulk of it is made in China, it's not made here in America anymore

cobblershelli

Feb 8, 2019
new windsor md
Yep I am. I've been working on cars since I was 13 years old I'm 52 years old the quality of steel over the last 30 years has gotten absolutely horrendous. research where it's made it's made. Bulk of it is made in China, it's not made here in America anymore
matter of fact it goes back a heck of a lot longer than that. started to go way down because of the EPA regulations look at a lot the '70s vehicles that just totally rusted away to nothing. so go back 40 - 50 years. bulk steel might start it's process here, but it shipped over seas for specialty things and production of base parts and then it's shipped back to America to be assembled onto vehicles or to Mexico for the plants are or through India where the plants are.... not here. I've put a multitude of parts on mamy many vehicles over the last gazillion years. not a one ever says that it comes from being made in America and that includes both factory and aftermarket

cobblershelli

Feb 8, 2019
new windsor md
matter of fact it goes back a heck of a lot longer than that. started to go way down because of the EPA regulations look at a lot the '70s vehicles that just totally rusted away to nothing. so go back 40 - 50 years. bulk steel might start it's process here, but it shipped over seas for specialty things and production of base parts and then it's shipped back to America to be assembled onto vehicles or to Mexico for the plants are or through India where the plants are.... not here. I've put a multitude of parts on mamy many vehicles over the last gazillion years. not a one ever says that it comes from being made in America and that includes both factory and aftermarket
And in the event that the steel is made here that tells you that the quality of a workmanship and production and whatever has gone way downhill and that's really disturbing and kind of absolutely disgusting in my eyes but that's my opinion

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Look at the pics posted above, the tags even say "Made in Canada with imported parts" the steel line is made in China and the final bending and forming is done here.

The trouble with Chinese steel is that they don't refine the iron all the way. There are trace percentages of other metals left in the iron and the Chinese rational is that we are going to add alloys to the iron to make the steel anyway so there is no sense in refining the iron to 100%. The cost of getting of the final few percent refined is a profit they would rather keep for themselves.

cobblershelli

Feb 8, 2019
new windsor md
Thank you for verifying Jay. I just went thru same on my truck and direct purchased from gm dealership. With same results except my lines were assembled in mexico with Chinese steel.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The trouble with Chinese steel is that they don't refine the iron all the way. There are trace percentages of other metals left in the iron and the Chinese rational is that we are going to add alloys to the iron to make the steel anyway so there is no sense in refining the iron to 100%. The cost of getting of the final few percent refined is a profit they would rather keep for themselves.

I'm sure they have better metallurgists than me (no, I'm not one). But I'd be curious to know if any of those remaining impurities negatively interact with the alloys.

Seems to me the answer would be 'yes', if we know their steel is not as robust as what we used to make. I also wonder if they run assay, to know what the impurities are, if they vary, and how they differ, from batch to batch.
Finally, I wonder if they're adhering to their contracts, if they're not delivering the same product as was 'standard', before.

Again, I'm not in the steel business -- but your info does make me wonder about these things.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online