'02 Envoy SLT with a strange problem...

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Last week I was at a street where I was parked facing uphill, no handbrake on, just in park with engine off. After about 15 minutes I fired it back up but it seemed like it didn't want to come out of park. With a little extra effort it did release from park but I had only neutral instead of drive. I then had to shift farther down to 2nd and then back to drive and all was well. Now it is still doing the same thing but also when shifting from park to reverse I still have to shift to neutral then reverse to find the gear. I have no idea what to look for. Other than this the old girl still drives great with around 250,000 Km. Any advice or help will definitely be appreciated. I'm a little afraid of the whole shifter linkage going south on me. Thank you... Glenn

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Thank you for the link. My problem is a little different. I have been busy at work and haven't had time to check the Envoy yet. But numerous searches here and Google all point to the same problem in your link. Mine is still shifting into and out of Park and going into gear ok. But when I shift out of Park it seems like it is tight, like it is being held in a plastic vice (for lack of a better explanation) The shift indicator stays in Park until I get to (by feel) Neutral where it will show reverse while transmission is still in Park. one pull to where drive should be and indicator shows reverse and trans is then in reverse. Same goes when shifting into drive. I have to pull it into (again by feel) where 2nd should be then indicator and trans are in Drive. Then I just push shifter a little further forward to its natural drive position. Shifting into Park is normal, like it always was.

Sound confusing? :smile:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Thank you for the link. My problem is a little different. I have been busy at work and haven't had time to check the Envoy yet. But numerous searches here and Google all point to the same problem in your link. Mine is still shifting into and out of Park and going into gear ok. But when I shift out of Park it seems like it is tight, like it is being held in a plastic vice (for lack of a better explanation) The shift indicator stays in Park until I get to (by feel) Neutral where it will show reverse while transmission is still in Park. one pull to where drive should be and indicator shows reverse and trans is then in reverse. Same goes when shifting into drive. I have to pull it into (again by feel) where 2nd should be then indicator and trans are in Drive. Then I just push shifter a little further forward to its natural drive position. Shifting into Park is normal, like it always was.

Sound confusing? :smile:

Just for informations sake... there is nothing physically connecting the cluster PRND321 display to the transmission shifter mechanism. What is displayed in the dash is the result of a message sent by the PCM to the cluster on the serial data bus. The PCM gets the information from the range position switch on the left side of the transmission. So what you see in the dashboard is the current position of the switch. If the bushings or shift cable or the range switch gets loose you will see screwy stuff in the cluster.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Park Neutral Switch mounted on the Driver's Side of the 4L60E Transmission is held in position by two 13mm (15mm?) Short Bolts and allows for a more precise adjustment for EXACTLY where the Neutral Shifter Position is supposed to be actuating.

The attached image shows where these Two Fasteners are in Red Ovals that hold down the PNS Tangs. By loosening them both and then making very slight re-positioning adjustments either Up or Down to locate the "Sweet Spot" Shifter Handle positions of PARK and NEUTRAL Positions that will allow the Engine to Start and Run might make a difference here.

Don't Over-Tighten those Two Fasteners into the Aluminum 4L60E Case Mount Holes. (Ignore the presence of that Odd Looking Tin Position Holding Item in the actual photograph. It comes inserted from the Factory and is removed just before the NEW PNS gets installed, so It will NOT be present on your 4L60E).

Attachments

• ADJUSTHEPARKNEUTRALSWITCH1.jpeg
    ADJUSTHEPARKNEUTRALSWITCH1.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PARKNEUTRALSAFETYSWITCH.jpg
    PARKNEUTRALSAFETYSWITCH.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Blackstar

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I finally got a chance to check out my problem. I checked the trans end of cable while Wifey changed from P to Low. There is a hesitation in the cable movement until the shifter is almost in Neutral then it moves into Reverse. then have to shift further to 2nd before it moves enough to actually go into Drive. Then moving the shifter forward 2 notches puts the shifter into its proper position for Drive. The dash shift indicator does show the actual gear that the trans is in.

Now, after removing the console It looks like everything at this end of the cable is working properly also. Only thing odd is when I shift from Park the cable moves properly and I can see the shiny steel part of the cable (actually looks like SS wire) It moves ok with the shifter but trans position does not move until it follows the sequence I listed in first paragraph.

I am lost. Maybe I have a break in the cable somewhere under the plastic sheathing but if that was so I wouldn't get any shifting at all. Bushings at both ends of cable are in good shape.

I took a short video of this from the shifter position but can't upload it. Youtube decided to suspend my account. Haven't used it in years. Any advice is appreciated.

Glenn

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Best thing for removing all doubt is a full cable replacement. Amazon carries the GM OEM version specific to your needs here:

GM Genuine Parts 15785087 Automatic Transmission Control Lever Cable

Here is THE BEST Instructional Video EVER on How This Job Gets Done:

Attachments

• 5143exQZJfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    5143exQZJfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 51qL5lP8nOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51qL5lP8nOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 513cMMSOtWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    513cMMSOtWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
am lost. Maybe I have a break in the cable somewhere under the plastic sheathing but if that was so I wouldn't get any shifting at all. Bushings at both ends of cable are in good shape.

Having never even laid eyes on any of this mechanism this is just a thought. What if the outer portion of the cable, rather than the shifting wire inside, is broken?

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Having never even laid eyes on any of this mechanism this is just a thought. What if the outer portion of the cable, rather than the shifting wire inside, is broken?
This is what I thought at first but there is only about an inch of slippage then the shift lever moves. And moves back to original Park position when moved.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher